The Alliance for Options in Education, established in 1973, as the Alliance for Open Education, was a citizens' organization which supported the introduction of a flexible public school system that would offer diverse methods of education delivery at elementary and secondary levels. The organization was established to educate the public regarding possible alternatives within the public school system and to keep its membership informed of significant developments within the district. Membership was comprised of over 200 families from the Anchorage area.
The collection consists of organization records in an alphabetical subject file. Included are correspondence, speeches, clippings, options existing in various Anchorage schools, publications on alternative methods of education, and other items.
The collection was placed in the UAA archives by Barbara Sweetland Smith of Anchorage, Alaska, in 1980. Mrs. Smith was Chairperson of the organization in 1976.
1. Alliance Business Material.
2. Anchorage Schools - General.
3. Anchorage Schools Alternatives.
4. Anchorage Schools Existing Options.
5. Anchorage Schools Existing Options - Abbott Loop.
6. Anchorage Schools Existing Options - Chugach - History.
7. Anchorage Schools Existing Options - Chugach Optional School (contains 33 slides).
8. Anchorage Schools Existing Options - College Gate School.
9. Anchorage Schools Existing Options - Inlet View Proposal.
10. Anchorage Schools Existing Options - Rogers Park.
11. Career Options.
12. Community Interest
14. Educational Trends.
15. Gifted Child Proposal.
17. Howes' Workshop I, Creative Teaching.
18. Howes' Parent Workshop.
19. International Consortium for Options in Public Education (ICOPE).
20. Mailing Lists - Miscellaneous.
21. Members - Children at Abbott Loop.
22. Members - Children at Chinook.
23. Members - Children at Chugach.
24. Members - Stellar, Chugach, and Chinook.
25. Members - Elementary Children.
26. Members - Elementary and Secondary.
27. Members - Miscellaneous.
28. Members - Pre-Schoolers.
29. Members - Secondary.
30. Membership General Information.
31. Minneapolis Options.
32. Minority Needs Proposal.
33. Names - AOE Interest.
34. News Articles.
36. Newsletters - AOE.
37. Newspapers - Publicity.
38. Open Classes - Information.
39. Open Options - AOE.
40. Parents Open Education Meeting - March, 1977.
41. Publications and Media - Options.
42. Reading Lists.
43. School Board.
44. School Board Notes.
45. Schools within a School Workshop.
46. Seattle Public Schools.
47. Secondary Alternatives.
49. Suhd, Melvin - Visit.
51. Tax Exemption.