DOROTHY M. JONES (b. 1923). Papers; 1878, 1964-1991. .6 cu. ft.
Dorothy M. Jones is a clinical social worker who has lived and worked in Alaska since the 1960s. She was a professor of sociology at the Institute of Social and Economic Research, University of Alaska, from 1968 to 1981. Much of her work and writings focused on the lives of Alaska Natives and their communities, especially the Aleut peoples. She wrote articles on sociology, anthropology, and clinical social work which were published in Anthropologica, Social Service Review, Journal of Sociology and Social Welfare, and Clinical Social Work Journal. Several of her papers were also published by the Institute of Social and Economic Research, University of Alaska. Dorothy Jones' books include Aleuts in Transition: A Comparison of Two Villages (1976), and A Century of Servitude: Pribilof Aleuts Under U.S. Rule (1980).
The collection consists of Dorothy Jones' published writings, and population data for the Aleutian Islands.
The collection was presented to the archives by Dorothy M. Jones in 1997. The donor retains the copyright to her writings.
Box and Folder list:
Series 1. Published Writings by Dorothy M. Jones; 1964,
1966, 1969, 1970, 1972-1974, 1976, 1977, 1980-1982, 1990, 1991.
1. Dorothy M. Jones, M.S.W. "Binds and Unbinds." Family Process 3(2): 323-331, September 1964.
2. Robert D. Jones, Jr. and Dorothy M. Jones. "The process of family disintegration in Black Brant." In Wildflowl Trust 17th Annual Report (pp.75-78); 1966.
3. Dorothy M. Jones. "Child Welfare Problems in an Alaskan Native Village." Social Services Review 43(3): 297-309, September 1969.
4. Dorothy Jones. "Agency-Community Conflict." In Science in Alaska 1969, Proceedings, Twentieth Alaska Science Conference, College, Alaska, August 24 to August 27, 1969, edited by Eleanor C. Viereck. Alaska Division, American Association for the Advancement of Science, July 1970 (pp. 145-158).
5. Dorothy C. Jones. Changes in Population Structure In the Aleutian Islands. Fairbanks: Insitute of Social, Economic and Government Research, University of Alaska, December 1970 (ISEGR Research Note, No. A-2, 9 pp.).
6. Dorothy M. Jones. "Adaptation of Whites in an Alaska Native Village." Anthropologica 14(2): 199-218, 1972.
7. Dorothy M. Jones. "Contemporary Aleut Material Culture." In Modern Alaskan Material Culture, edited by Wendell Oswalt. Fairbanks: University of Alaska Museum, April 1972 (pp. 7-19).
8. Dorothy M. Jones, with the research assistance of John R. Wood. Patterns of Village Growth and Decline in the Aleutians. Fairbanks: Institute of Social, Economic and Government Research, University of Alaska, October 1973 (ISEGR Occasional Paper, No. 11).
9. Doroth M. Jones. "Race Relations in an Alaska Native Village." Anthropologica 15(2): 167-190, 1973.
10. Dorothy M. Jones. The Urban Native Encounters the Social Service System. Fairbanks: Institute of Social, Economic and Governmental Research, University of Alaska, 1974 (69 pp., 3 copies).
11. Dorothy Jones and David G. Katzeek. Management & Program Evaluation, Social Services and Employment Assistance Programs, Cook Inlet Native Association, Inc. Juneau: Katzeek & Associates, ca. 1976 (60 pp.).
12. Dorothy M. Jones. Urban Native Men and Women--Differences in Their Work Adaptations. Fairbanks: Institute of Social, Ecomic and Goverment Research, University of Alaska, April 1976 (ISEGR Occasional Paper, No. 12, 45 pp.).
13. Dorothy M. Jones. Aleuts in Transition: A Comparison of Two Villages. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1976 (125 pp.).
14. Dorothy M. Jones. "Strategy Straddling: A Community Organization Dilemma in an Alaskan Native Village." Human Organization 36 (1): 22-33, Spring 1977.
15. Dorothy M. Jones, Marsha Bennett, Mariana W. Foliart, Mary Ann VandeCastle, and Joan M. Katz. The Status of Women in Alaska, 1977. Juneau: Alaska State Commission for Human Rights, Jan. 1977 (156 pp.).
16. Dorothy Knee Jones. A Century of Servitude: Pribilof Aleuts Under U.S. Rule. Lanham, Maryland: University Press of America, 1980 (photo illus., 190 pp.).
17. Dorothy M. Jones, Principal Investigator, Anne Shinwin, and Mary Pete. Alcohol as a Community Problem and Response in Alaska: Final Report Summary. Institute of Social and Economic Research, University of Alaska, March 1981 (50 pp.).
18. Dorothy M. Jones, Principal Investigator, Anne
Shinwin, and Mary Pete. Alcohol as a Community Problem and Response
in Alaska: Comprehensive Final Report. Institute of Social and
Economic Research, University of Alaska, March 1981 (185 pp.).
19. Dorothy M. Jones. "Bulimia: A Food Binger's Time Bomb." Alaska Woman, pp. 28 & 30, June 1982.
20. Dorothy M. Jones, D.S.W. "Social Analysis in the Clinical Setting." Clinical Social Work Journal 18(4): 393-406, Winter 1990.
21. Dorothy M. Jones. "Enmeshment in the American Family." Affilia 6(2): 28-44, Summer 1991.
22. Dorothy M. Jones, DSW. "Alexithymia: Inner Speech and Linkage Impairment." Clinical Social Work Journal 19(3): Fall 1991.
Series 2. Population Data for the Aleutian Islands; 1878,
1940, 1950, 1970, 1971, 1977.
1. Log Book, Alaska Commercial Company, Ounalaska Island, Iliuluksky Village (copy); 1878.
2. Aleutian Islands. Census Report for 1940; 1940.
Reports for Unalaska Village, King Cove, Sanak Island, Akutan Village, Nikolski Village, Simeonof Island, Wosnesenski Island , and Sandpoint and Unga.
3. Atka Native Census (copy); Apr 15, 1950.
4. Atka population data; 1970.
5. "Preliminary Base Line Information, Unalaska 1970"; By Dorothy M. Jones (26 pp.); 1970.
6. Unalaska population data; July 22-23, 1971.
7. Population data for Aleutian Islands from National Archives, Seattle, Washington (copy);1977.
Includes detailed population data for Akutan, False Pass, Belkofski, King Cove, and Sandpoint.