SMITH HALEY. "Missionary Aviation of Alaska" Research Files; 2000-2001. .2 cu. ft.
Smith Haley was born on May 17, 1918, at Leaksville (now Eden), North Carolina. Mr. Haley graduated from Emmanuel Junior College, Franklin Springs, Georgia, in 1942. He was ordained by the Pentecostal Holiness Church in 1943, and was a pastor at churches in Georgia and South Carolina for thirty-five years. Haley served as a Civil Air Patrol Chaplain from 1968 through 1997. He began his research on Missionary Aviation in Alaska in 2000, after attempting to find information on a friend and colleague, Episcopal Bishop William J. Gordon, Jr. Smith Haley is currently involved in a nursing home ministry, preaching, and bible study.
This collection contains research files on "Missionary Aviation of Alaska," collected and organized by Smith Haley. The collection includes an introduction to the research, and files relating to Episcopalian, Catholic, Lutheran, Pentecostal, Presbyterian and Moravian, Seventh Day Adventist, and Baptist and Methodist missionaries. Also, there are files on missionary organizations; missionary flight schools and relay stations; Bishop Fleming, Anglican Bishop of the Arctic; "Wings over the Amazon;" and miscellaneous and ephemera files. The collection is not for publication and is to be used for research purposes only.
The collection was presented to the archives by Smith Haley in 2001.
1. Deed of Gift and Biography; 2001.
2. Introduction and explanation; 2000.
3. Episcopalians; 2000.
4. Catholics; 2000.
5. Lutheran; 2000.
6. Pentecostal; 2000.
7. Presbyterian and Moravian; 2000.
8. Seventh Day Adventist; 2000.
9. Baptists and Methodists; 2000.
10. Organizations; 2000.
11. Schools and Repair Stations; 2000.
12. Miscellaneous Alaska -related research; 2000.
13. "Archibald the Arctic", Archibald Lang Fleming, First Anglican Bishop of the Arctic; 2000.
14. "Wings Over the Amazon"; 2000.
15. Ephemera; 2000.