Skip navigation

Historical Manuscripts Collection List »

ARTHUR B. THOMASON (1912-1997). World War II Photographs and Papers; n.d., 1935-1979. .1 cu. ft.

Arthur B. Thomason, from West Palm Beach, Florida, was born in 1912. He enlisted in the U. S. Army at Camp Blanding, Florida, in December 1942. Thomason received training in the 801st Signal Training Regiment at Camp Murphy, Florida, in 1943. He was later assigned to a unit in the Alaska Defense Command, serving at Fort Lewis, Washington, in 1944, and Amchitka Army Air Field, in 1945. Arthur Thomason died in West Palm Beach, Florida, in 1997.

The collection consists of the World War II and family photographs and papers of Arthur B. Thomason. The collection contains: 48 black and white and 5 color photographs; 7 conservation copy negatives of selected images; an Alaska Defense Command and a Fourth Service Command shoulder patch; World War II memorabilia items; and a family newspaper clipping from the Yorkville Inquirer from July 5, 1979. Thirty-three of the photographs are from Thomason's service during World War II and are of Thomason and fellow soldiers on Amchitka, an anti-aircraft gun, a ship's deck, scenery, and pets. Twenty of the photographs are of family and friends. The World War II memorabilia items include: two notices of selective service classification; a registration certificate; two temporary passes from Fort Lewis, Washington; a temporary membership card for the Camp Blanding, Florida, NCO Club from 1944; a quarterly membership card for the NCO Club, Amchitka, Alaska from 1945; a meal card for the Service Units Consolidated Mess on Amchitka; various baggage tags and checks; a Thanksgiving Day 1943 menu for the 801st Signal Training Regiment, Camp Murphy, Florida; a train schedule from the Olympian line of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad from 1944; a newspaper article about Camp Murphy closing from November 1944; and a photo clipping of the Roosevelt funeral train leaving Warm Springs, Georgia, in 1945.

The collection was acquired by the archives in 2004.

HMC-0707
JAS (10/2004)