Skip navigation

Historical Manuscripts Collection List »

Guide to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Soldier’s Alaska Highway Construction photographs
1942-1945

Collection number: HMC-0501.
Creator: Unknown.
Title: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Soldier’s Alaska Highway Construction photographs.
Dates: 1942-1943.
Volume of collection: 0.01 cubic feet. 
Language of materials: Materials in this collection are in English.
Collection summary: Photographs taken during the construction of the ALCAN Highway.

Biographical note:
Unknown at this time.

Collection description:
The collection consists of 66 photographs taken by an unknown soldier in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers during construction of the Alaska Highway in British Columbia and the Yukon Territory. Locations of the photographs include St. John, British Columbia, the Liard River Bridge (Mile Post 495.8), Nisutlin Bay Bridge (Mile Post 807), the construction camp at Mile Post 125, the Elliot Construction Company Camp at Kluane Lake (Mile Post 256), Morris Lake, Soldiers Summit (Mile Post 1061), the construction camp at Watson Lake (Mile Post 635), the Rancheria River, the Donjek River, and the construction camp at Morley Bay (Mile Post 777). Several of the photographs depict the construction of the bridges over the Liard River and Nisutlin Bay and equipment used. The collection also contains 11 black and white 4 X 5 conservation negatives made from selected prints in the collection.

Arrangement: The collection is arranged in no discernable order.  

Digitized copies: Digital copies of collection material are not available online. For information about obtaining digital copies, please contact Archives and Special Collections.

Rights note: Archives does not own copyright to this collection.

Preferred citation: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Soldier’s Alaska Highway Construction photographs, Archives and Special Collections, Consortium Library, University of Alaska Anchorage.

Acquisition note: This collection was purchased from eBay in 2001.

Processing information: This collection was described by Jeffrey Sinnott in 2001. The collection was converted to current standard by Veronica Denison in 2014.