Skip navigation

University Records »

A Short History of Alaska Pacific University
by Claire Agni

  • 1955 242.5 acres are bought from the US to the Division of National Missions for the purpose of building an academic institution.

  • Alaska Methodist University is founded by Peter Gordon Gould, and chartered in 1957.

  • 1958  First President Donald Ebright set up organizational structure and assembled first faculty.

  • AMU dedicated on June 29, 1959.

  • July 1959, cornerstone of Grant Hall laid.

  • September 1960, Grant Hall opened, named after Bishop A. Raymond Grant.

  • 1960 Gould Hall opened as a dormitory for men.

  • Opened in Fall 1960 with 146 students and 12 full-time faculty by second President Frederick P. McGinnis.

  • First graduation Spring 1961, with three graduates.

  • 1964 Full accreditation granted to AMU by the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges

  • Atwood Center built in 1965, designed by Edward Durell Stone.

  • 1969 Consortium agreements ratified and implemented by AMU and UA, meaning: a joint library, and course and credit exchange program.

  • 1970 Third President, Dr. William E. Davis elected.

  • 1971 Fourth President, Dr. John O. Picton elected.

  • December 1971, the Atwood Center housed a special meeting of the Alaska Federation of Natives to vote in the acceptance of the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act. The facility was designated a state and national historic site on the National Register in June 1979.

  • 1972 The Waldron Carillon Bell Tower is given to AMU by Arthur F. Waldron, in honor of his wife, Edith.

  • 1975 Fifth President, Dr. Robert K. Dellenbach elected.

  • AMU closed in 1976 due to financial difficulties, gathering to reassess its mission.

  • Sixth President, Glenn A. Olds reopened AMU in September 1977 with 96 students and 4 full-time faculty.

  • 1977 700 acres in the Matanuska Valley are given by trustee V. Louise Kellogg, designated as the Kellogg Campus.

  • 1978 changed name to Alaska Pacific University to better demonstrate its location and mission.

  • 1981 The “APU Log” is added.

  • 1983 Mlakar President’s home is built.

  • 1984 Grace Hall is built.

  • 1984 University Hall built, housing the USGS.

  • 1986 Ruth and Homer Moseley Sports Center is built.

  • 1986 University Village Apartments are built.

  • 1988 Seventh President, F. Thomas Trotter is elected.

  • 1989 University Hall renamed Grace Hall after Volney F. Grace.

  • 1991 a 4 million dollar gift is given to build the Carr Gottstein Academic Center, the largest gift ever given to APU.

  • 1991 Cardinal Newman Chair in Catholic Theology established by the Archdiocese of Anchorage.

  • 1993 Mahaffey Trail System is dedicated.

  • 1995 Eighth President, Douglas McKay North is elected.

  • Fall 2007 Segelhorst Hall opened.