ALASKA LIBRARY ASSOCIATION
SCHOLARSHIPS FOR GRADUATE LIBRARY STUDIES
AkLA has established a scholarship program to provide financial assistance to worthy students pursuing graduate studies leading to a Master’s Degree in Library and Information Studies and to encourage graduates to return to Alaska to work in professional library positions. Scholarships may be awarded for both on-campus and/or distance education programs. Preference will be given to an individual meeting the federal definition of Alaska Native ethnicity.
An applicant must be an Alaskan resident who:
- is eligible for acceptance, is currently enrolled, or will be a student in a graduate school program during the academic year, semester, or academic quarter for which the scholarship is received.
- makes a commitment to work in an Alaska library for a minimum of one year after graduation as a paid employee or a volunteer, or for two semesters for one semester’s financial assistance. A scholarship recipient who fails to fulfill this commitment will be expected to repay the money received. Candidates awarded the scholarship must supply proof of admission to an accredited program before the scholarship is disbursed.
Amount for the next academic year will be $4,000.
Criteria for Selection
An individual will be selected by a Scholarship Committee of AkLA based on the following criteria:
- Financial need
- Demonstrated scholastic ability and writing skills
- Applicant’s response to an essay question regarding his/her professional goals and objectives in pursuing a library career
- Strength of references. Three Applicant Reference Evaluation Forms are required, at least one of which must be from a librarian. References may include additional comments or letters.
- For more information visit https://akla.org/scholarships/
Please note new procedures! Fill out the online form, and then mail a current resume, official college transcripts, and three references using this printable Word form, to AkLA Scholarship Committee, Attn: Julie M. Niederhauser, Alaska State Library, PO Box 110571, Juneau, AK 99811. A complete application packet must be received by January 15 of the award year. The recipient is announced in the spring of 2020.