ALASKA LIBRARY ASSOCIATION
SCHOLARSHIPS FOR GRADUATE LIBRARY STUDIES
AkLA has established a scholarship program to support the education of librarians for Alaska’s libraries, including school libraries. The stated purpose is to provide financial assistance to worthy students pursuing graduate studies in Library Science and to encourage graduates to return to Alaska to work in professional library positions. Preference is given to qualified applicants meeting the federal requirements of Alaska Native ethnicity.
Three scholarships of $4,000 each may be awarded: one for a Master’s Degree candidate, one for School Library Media Certification (the B. Jo Morse Scholarship), and a third from either category.
To be eligible for the scholarship, an applicant must be an Alaskan resident who:
- possesses a Bachelor’s Degree or higher from an accredited college or university;
- is eligible for acceptance, or is currently enrolled, in a graduate program in Library and Information Science leading to a Master’s Degree or School Library Media Certification, from a university program accredited by the American Library Association;
- is or will be a student during the academic year, semester, or academic quarter for which the scholarship is received; and
- makes a commitment to work in an Alaskan library for a minimum of one year after graduation as a paid employee or volunteer, or for two semesters for one semester’s financial assistance.
Completed applications must be received by January 15th .
If you are interested in applying, copies of the guidelines and application forms are available online at http://akla.org/scholarships/application-and-reference-forms/. If you have questions about graduate library studies or would like paper copies of the scholarship application, contact:
AkLA Scholarship Committee
Alaska State Library
P.O. Box 110571, Juneau, AK 99811-0571
(907) 465-2916 or 1-888-820-4525