THEODORE PAUL BANK, II (1923-1981). Papers; n.d., 1901, 1917-1980. 11.9 cu. ft.
Photo Credit/Source: Photographer Unknown. The photograph has been remodified and reduced. It is in Series 13 (Album 21) of the Theodore Paul Bank II Col.
Theodore (Ted) Bank, II was born on August 31, 1923, in Patterson, Louisiana. He studied human biology at Harvard (1941-1943), leaving to serve as a naval weather observer in the Aleutians and the North Pacific during World War II. After the war he resumed his studies, obtaining a B.S. in forestry at the University of Michigan (1946 or 1947). He obtained his M.S. in ethnobotany from the University of Michigan (1950), and also did postgraduate work in anthropology there (1947-1953). He led and participated in numerous scientific expeditions to the Aleutian Islands as well as expeditions to Japan (1955-1956), Argentina, West Africa, Mexico, Southeast Asia, and the South Pacific. Bank's professional positions included village teacher in Atka, Alaska (1948-1949); executive director, American Institute for Exploration (1954-1981); visiting lecturer, University of Hokkaido (1955-1956); research associate, University of Michigan Museum of Anthropology (1956-1957); assistant professor of anthropology, Chicago Teachers College North (1961-1963); social research anthropologist, Agnews State Hospital (1965-1966); visiting lecturer, College of San Mateo (1965-1966); assistant professor of anthropology, Chapman College, Seven Seas Division (1967); professor of social science, Western Michigan University (1967-1981); and director, Aleutian-Bering Sea Institutes Program (1969-1981). He was a member of many professional organizations, including the American Anthropological Association (fellow), the Society of American Archaeology (fellow), the Polar Society, and the Pacific Science Association. He was also a fellow of the Explorers Club, a frequent contributor to their journal (The Explorers Journal), and the proud carrier of Explorers Club Flag #159. He authored many articles and books, including Birthplace of the Winds (1956), a personal account of one of his early Aleutian expeditions. His honors included receiving a Fulbright research scholarship for the study of the Ainu people in Japan (1955-1956). Ted Bank was married three times, to Janet Fowler (1948-1953), Shirley Waterman (1954-1962), and Trina Paula Lindenstein (1963-1981). He had two children, Theodore Paul Bank and Kristin Kara Bank. He was often accompanied and assisted professionally by his wives during his expeditions. He died in June of 1981.
The collection consists of records relating to Ted Bank's activities as an anthropologist and explorer. Included are papers relating to Aleutian expeditions, records of the American Institute for Exploration, drafts and publications by Ted Bank, records relating to the American-Japan Society of Hokkaido, motion picture film taken in the Aleutian Islands, and almost 10,000 photographs and negatives relating to Alaskan expeditions, the Ainu people, and other subjects.
The collection was presented to the archives by Dr. William H. Woodhams in 1982. Additional materials were added in 1989. All artifacts from Alaskan excavations were transferred to the University of Alaska Museum in Fairbanks in 1992 to be held for transfer to an appropriate Aleutian repository.
Series 1. Biographical
Materials; n.d., 1972, 1974.
Consists of speaker's biography, archaeological digs vita, and West Coast job search notes.
Series 2. Correspondence;
n.d., 1939, 1945-1957, 1959, 1965, 1967-1971, 1973-1978. Arranged
Includes correspondence regarding an Aleutian research center, research projects, Aleutian missionaries, reindeer, Atkan resettlement, and other miscellaneous subjects.
Series 3. Drafts and
Publications by Ted Bank; n.d., 1945-1946, 1948-1954, 1956-1960,
1962-1963, 1969-1970, 1972, 1975, 1977-1978. Arranged chronologically.
Consists of drafts and published materials by Ted Bank. Mostly journal and magazine articles.
Series 4. Publications about Ted Bank; 1950, 1954, 1956, 1958-1959, 1962, 1966, 1968-1970, 1973, 1979. Arranged chronologically.
Consists of news releases, periodical articles and advertisements that mention Ted Bank.
Series 5. Alaskan Expeditions;
n.d., 1948-1955, 1962, 1966-1973, 1975, 1978-1979. Arranged
Consists of materials related to Ted Bank's Alaskan expeditions. Includes items relating to personnel, equipment, films, permits, plans, itineraries, specimens, and data collected.
Series 6. Institute for
Regional Exploration/American Institute for Exploration; n.d.,
1959, 1967, 1979. Arranged chronologically.
Consists of materials related to Ted Bank's organization the Institute for Regional Exploration, which later changed its name to the American Institute for Exploration. Includes correspondence, handouts and flyers, clippings, and annual report. See also Alaskan Expeditions series.
Series 7. Financial Records;
1948, 1952, 1954, 1968-1974. Arranged chronologically.
Consists of tax returns and other financial records of the American Institute for Exploration Alaska Bering Sea Expeditions.
Series 8. America-Japan
Society of Hokkaido; 1953-1954, 1956-1959.
Consists of materials related to the America-Japan Society of Hokkaido and attempts by the Clark Memorial Student Center Committee to found a student center at Hokkaido University. Ted Bank was involved with the student center project. Also includes speech by Douglas MacArthur II to the Society (1957).
Series 9. Aleutian-Bering
Sea Expedition 1973-1974 - "Brown Fiasco"; n.d., 1968-1971,
1973-1974, 1977. Arranged chronologically.
Consists of materials from a folder titled "ABSE 1973-1974 Brown Fiasco'". Relates to disputes with the acting city manager on Unalaska (John Brown) and the reactions of Western Michigan University.
Series 10. Reference
Materials; n.d., 1901, 1917-1957, 1961, 1967, 1971-1973. Arranged
Consists of Alaska-related and miscellaneous reference materials. Includes Aleut school essays, Aleutian and Alaskan medical statistics, Aleutian vital statistics, issues of the Atka Village News and The Unalaskan, and the constitutions and charters of Atka and Nikolski Villages.
Series 11. Miscellaneous;
n.d., 1947, 1951-1954, 1957, 1969-1970. Arranged alphabetically.
Includes calendar, Bank family Christmas cards, personal notes, artifact labels, a proposal for excavations in Japan, and other miscellaneous items.
Series 12. 16mm Color
Motion Picture Film; n.d., 1949-1954, 1977. Arranged chronologically.
Consists primarily of motion picture film taken by Ted Bank in the Aleutian Islands.
Series 13. Ted Bank and
Family Photographs and Negatives; n.d., 1943, 1949, 1952, 1954,
1957, 1961, 1966-1971, 1974-1975, 1977-1978. (430 b/w prints,
62 color prints, 9 b/w 120 size negs., 3 color 120 negs., 6 b/w 35mm
negs., 3 b/w 120 proof sheets)
Includes Theodore Paul Bank II (from young manhood to 1970s), Janet Fowler Bank (wife #1), Shirley Waterman Bank (wife #2), Trina Lindenstein Bank (wife #3), Theodore Paul Bank III ("Skipper")(son), Kristin Kara Bank (daughter), Ossie Bank, Carl Bank, and Ted Bank (father?).
Series 14. Photographs
and Negatives from Ted Bank's Navy Service?; n.d., 1945-1946.
(86 b/w prints, 26 b/w negatives)
Includes Aleutian and other Alaskan scenes, people, and miscellaneous military-related photos.
Series 15. Photograph
Scrapbooks/Albums; n.d., 1949, 1954, 1960, 1973, 1975. (174 b/w
prints, 87 color prints)
Includes expedition activities and people, Aleutian people and scenery, Japanese people and scenery, Thai people and scenery, and other subjects.
Series 16. Aleutian Photographs;
n.d., 1882 (copy), 1934, 1940, 1942-1944, 1948-1950, 1954, 1969-1971,
1978. (409 b/w prints, 56 color prints, 1 postcard, 1 color transparency)
Divided into the following: Adak, Agattu, Atka, Attu, Great Sitkin, Ilak, Kasheega Village (Unalaska), Kiska, Nikolski Village (Umnak), Shemya, Tanaga, Umnak, Unalaska, Unimak, and People (villages unidentified).
Series 17. Alaska Expedition
Photographs (includes Aleutians); n.d., 1948-1950, 1954, 1962,
1969-1970, 1973, 1975-1978. (714 b/w prints, 156 color prints,
Divided into the following: Airplanes, Alaska Economic, Father Markarey Baranoff, Birds, Boats (Expedition), Campsites (Expedition), Church Interiors (Unidentified), Diomede (Little), Excavations, Expedition People and Activities, Flowers/Plants, Juneau, Juneau Ice Fields, Kodiak, Landscapes/Scenery (Unidentified), Seals/Sea Lions, Seldovia, Sitka, Towns/Villages (Unidentified), and Weddings.
Series 18. Alaska Bering
Sea Expedition Negatives and Proofs; 1969-1971, 1973. (973 negatives,
1499 proof sheets)
Includes expedition people and activities and Aleutian people and scenery.
Series 19. Misc. Alaska
Photographs; n.d., 1949-1951, 1954, 1961-1962, 1973, 1978. (105
b/w prints, 8 color prints, 1 postcard)
Includes various identified and unidentified Alaskan scenes, people, animals, and ships.
Series 20. Ainu and other
Japanese Photographs; n.d., 1955-1957. (1555 b/w photos, 2 postcards,
3 negatives, 57 120 proof sheets, 149 35mm proof sheets)
Divided into the following: Negatives and Proofs; Fishing/Marimo Ball Gathering; Weaving/Sewing/Painting; Millet Pounding; Gathering Bark, Wood, Food; Digging; Carving Prayer Sticks (Inau); Indoor Ceremonies; Indoor Dancing; Indoor Scenes (Playing jew's harp, etc.); Man with Bow and Arrow; Outdoor Ceremonies; Outdoor Scenes; Portraits and Misc.; Japanese Excavations; and Japan Misc.
Series 21. Photographs
of Other Countries (not U.S. or Japan); n.d., 1920, 1923, 1926,
1935, 1957, 1959, 1965-1967. (312 b/w prints, 3 postcards)
Divided into the following: Burma; Brazil; Ceylon; China; Congo; Costa Rica; Egypt; Ethiopia; Hong Kong; India; Iran; Malaysia; New Guinea; Philippines; Portugal; Rhodesia/Zimbabwe; Singapore; South Africa; Sudan; Tahiti; Tanzania; Thailand; and Unidentified Countries (mostly Asia). Some photos taken by Ted Bank, most from tourism promotion agencies.
Series 22. Figures, Artifact Photographs, and Drawings; n.d. (316 b/w prints, 37 drawings)
Divided into the following: Drawings of Artifacts (from notebook), Drawings and Figures, Photos of Artifacts, Bits and Pieces (cut from artifact photos), Human Remains, Maps and Figures, and Drawings/Artwork.
Series 23. "Slides
for Promotion Committee"; n.d., 1969-1973, 1975-1980. (211
Includes Aleutian expedition people and activities, excavations, sea lions, puffins and other birds, flowers, and Aleutian scenery.
Series 24. Misc. Negatives
and Proofs (1585 b/w negs., 73 color negs., 474 b/w proof sheets, 81
Divided into the following: Numbered Negatives and Proofs (mostly Aleutian); Southeast Alaska Expeditions; Expedition People and Activities; Alaska Transparencies; Charts, Maps, etc.; Misc. b/w 35mm Negatives; Misc. Color Transparencies; Misc. Negatives and Proofs.
Series 25. Misc. Photographs;
n.d., 1939, 1956-1957, 1959-1960, 1967, 1970. (242 b/w prints,
8 color prints)
Divided into the following: Misc. People; Lightning; "Dirt for Sale"; Animals; Misc. Sets of Photographs; Misc.; and Oversize Photographs.
Series 26. Artifacts;
n.d., 1949, 1952.
Includes Aleutian grass baskets, Ainu and Japanese items, and unidentified items.
BOX AND FOLDER LIST
Series 1. Biographical Materials;
n.d., 1972, 1974.
1. Speaker's Biography - Ted Bank II; 1972.
2. Ted Bank II - Archaeological Digs Vita; 1974.
3. West Coast Job Search Notes; n.d.
Series 2. Correspondence;
n.d., 1939, 1945-1957, 1959, 1965, 1967-1971, 1973-1978.
1. Alaska/Aleutian Research Center - Correspondence; 1950-1954.
2. Alaska Historical Library and Museum - Correspondence; 1948-1951, 1954.
3. Alaska Native Service - Correspondence; 1948-1952, 1954-1955.
4. Aleut Cultural Center (Proposed) - Correspondence; 1973-1974.
5. Aleutian Bering Sea Expedition - Queries, Answered No 1978; 1970, 1975-1978.
6. Aleutian Project - Cooperation - Correspondence; 1968-1969, 1971, 1973.
7. Atomic Energy Commission - Correspondence; 1950.
8. Kirk Project - Letter from Post Office; Dec. 5, 1967.
9. Laughlin, W.S. - Correspondence; 1948-1952.
10. May, Alan - Partial letter from Ted Bank; n.d.
11. Missionaries (Aleutian) - Reports and Correspondence; 1954-1955.
12. National Research Council - Correspondence; n.d., 1950, 1953-1954.
13. Reindeer and Trapping - Reports and Correspondence; n.d., 1939, 1946, 1949. (Includes hand-drawn color map and Bob Reeve materials)
14. Resettlement Problems (Atka) - Correspondence, War Claims, Notes; n.d., 1945-1947.
15. U.S. Department of the Interior - Correspondence; 1950-1952, 1954.
16. Misc. Correspondence; n.d., 1950-1952, 1954-1957, 1959, 1965, 1969-1970.
Series3. Drafts and Publications
by Ted Bank; n.d., 1945-1946, 1948-1954, 1956-1960, 1962-1963,
1969-1970, 1972, 1975, 1977-1978.
1. Birthplace of the Winds - Chapter 23 - Drafts; n.d.
2. History of the Aleut People - Drafts and Notes; n.d.
3. "Wild Flowers at the Back Door to Siberia" - Draft?; n.d.
4. Rough Sketches - Aleutians; n.d.
5. Untitled Narrative Report of Aleutian Expeditions, 1948-1954? - Draft; n.d.
6 . Untitled Article about Tanaga Cave - Draft; 1950s? (Includes 2 b/w photos - island and cave interior)
7. Untitled Article Draft about former expedition member Jordal and botanical notes (by Bank?); n.d. (1950s?)
8. Untitled Article Drafts; n.d.
9. Artifacts - Descriptions,
Drawings, Plates from unidentified publications; n.d. (Includes
5 b/w photos)
10. Maps and Figures from unidentified publications (some by Bank); n.d.
11. Oversize Maps and Figures from unidentified publications; n.d. (Oversize - Stored in BOX 10)
12. "Ethnobotanical Investigations in the Aleutian Islands, 1948 - Part I: Techniques and Objectives" - Title Page and Figure; n.d.
13. 1946 Research Reports (Adak); n.d., 1945-1946 (Includes hand-drawn color maps and 2 b/w photos of Bank and others)(see Bank Navy Service photos for similar items)
14. "Leadership Among Aleuts" - Report and Reference Material; n.d., 1948-1950.
15. Military Intelligence - Report on 1949 Great Sitkin Volcano Ascent, Aleutians - by University of Michigan Expedition; July 1949.
16. "Cultural Succession in the Aleutians" - Drafts and Notes; 195?
17. "Leadership Among the Aleut" - A report submitted at the request of the Alaska Native Service and the Office of the Wing Inspector General of the U.S. Airforce - Retyped from The University of Michigan Expeditions to the Aleutian Islands, 1948-1949, Report to the Office of Naval Research, Ann Arbor, Michigan, Appendix I, pp. 196-207; August 1950.
18. "The University of Michigan Expedition to the Aleutian Islands, 1948-49" - Summary and Conclusions (pp. 105-108); 1950.
19. "A Preliminary Account of the University of Michigan Aleutian Expeditions, 1950-51" - Report #9, University of Michigan Aleutian Expeditions; Oct. 1951.
20. "Experiences of Scientific Exploration in the Aleutian Islands" - Asa Gray Bulletin, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 77-86; 1952 [copy]
21. "A Preliminary Account of the University of Michigan Aleutian Expedition, 1950-51" - Asa Gray Bulletin, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 211-218; 1952 [copy]
22. "Botanical and Ethnobotanical Studies in the Aleutian Islands, I. Aleutian Vegetation and Aleut Culture" - Papers of the Michigan Academy of Science, Arts & Letters, 37, pp. 12-30; 1952 [copy]
23. "Arts and Crafts of the Southwestern Alaska Eskimo" - handout to accompany exhibit at University of Michigan; 1952 [original and copy]
24. "Wild Flowers Deck the Aleutians" - Reprinted from Nature Magazine; May 1953.
25. "Orchids of the Tundra" - Natural History, pp. 287-280; June 1953 [copy]
26. "Orchids of the Tundra" - Drafts; 1953?
27. "Biological Succession in the Aleutians" - Pacific Science, 4, pp. 493-503; 1953 [copy]
28. "Cultural Succession in the Aleutians" - American Antiquity, 19, pp. 40-49; 1953 [copy]
29. "Botanical and Ethnobotanical Studies in the Aleutian Islands, II. Health and Medical Lore of the Aleuts" - Papers of the Michigan Academy of Science, Arts & Letters, 38, pp. 415-436; 1953 [copy]
30. "Ecology of Prehistoric Aleutian Village Sites" - Ecology, 34, pp. 342-364; 1953 [copy]
31. "Archaeology at Unalaska, Aleutians During 1954" - Paper read at the Fifth Alaskan Science Conference; Sept. 6, 1954.
32. "A Permanent Research Center and Expedition Headquarters in Southwestern Alaska" - Paper to be presented before the Life Sciences Section, Science in the Arctic; joint session of the Arctic Institute of North America and the Western Society of Naturalists, meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science at Berkeley, California; 1954 [copy]
33. "A Case History of a Dying Race" - R.N.: A Journal for Nurses; April 1956 [copy]
34. "Vose Explorations Fund Award No. 16" - Explorers Journal; December 1957. [copy]
35. "Ethnobotany of Northern Peoples and the Problem of Cultural Drift" - Abstract from the paper presented at the Ninth Pacific Science Congress; 1957.
36. "Medicinal Plant Lore of the Aleut" - Abstract from the paper presented at the Ninth Pacific Science Congress; 1957.
37. "Ninth Pacific Congress Secretariat: Monday, December 9th, 1957" - Explorers Journal; May 1958 [copy]
38. "Alaska's Bering Sea Frontier" - Kiwanis Magazine, pp. 19-23; October 1958 [copy]
39. "A Quartet of Bears: Episode 1" - Explorers Journal, p. 25; October 1958 [copy]
40. "The Aleuts" - Scientific American, 199, pp. 112-120; November 1958 [copy]
41. Cartoons by Ted Bank - Explorers Journal; 1958-1959.
42. "Cry of a Raven" - Kiwanis Magazine; February 1959.
43. "New Film Production Group" - Explorers Journal; February 1959.
44. "A Quartet of Bears: Episode 2" - Explorers Journal, pp. 38-39; October 1959 [copy]
45. "The Aleuts" - Condensed from Scientific American - Explorers Journal; October 1959 [copy]
46. "The Southern Eskimos" - The Alaska Sportsman; October 1959 [original and reprint]
47. "Contemporary Ainu" - Explorers Journal, 38, pp. 12-24; May 1960 [copy]
48. "How Man Came to the New World" - Explorers Journal; June 1962 [Also No. 4 in the AIFE Reprint Series][copy of original and AIFE reprint]
49. "An Archaeological Expedition to Unalaska" (draft of "Past Ages of Unalaska") - Manuscript Drafts; July 17, 1963.
50. "Past Ages of Unalaska" - Explorers Journal; September 1963 [copy]
51. Alaska Presentation - Notes,
etc.; Oct. 17, 1969.
52. "The Ainu of Hokkaido" - The UWM Magazine, pp. 24-32; Spring 1970 [copy]
53. "Sea of Okhotsk Eskimoids" [excerpted from the UWM Magazine, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Spring 1970, pp. 25-32] - source unknown [copy]
54. "Recent Archaeological Finds Relating to Paleo-human Occupation of the Bering Landbridge" - Paper read at the Arctic and Mountain Environments Symposium, Glaciological and Arctic Sciences Institute, Michigan State Univ., East Lansing (published in abstracts of the symposium, pp. 10-11); 1972 [copy]
55. "Urgently Needed Research on Aleut Culture" - Reprinted from Bulletin No. 17, International Committee on Urgent Anthropological and Ethnological Research: Vienna, Austria, pp. 11-30; 1975 [reprint]
56. "Ethnobotany as an Adjunct to Archaeology: Studies in the Aleutian Islands" - Reprinted from For the Director: Research Essays in Honor of James B. Griffin - Anthropological Papers, No. 61, Museum of Anthropology, Univ. of Michigan; 1977 [part of AIFE reprint series][have 2 AIFE reprints]
57. "Mounting Your Expedition" - Mariah Magazine; March 1977 [copy]
58. "Mounting Your Expedition: Part III" - Mariah Magazine; Fall 1977 [copy]
59. "Mounting Your Expedition" - Mariah Magazine; Winter 1977 [copy]
60. "The Aleuts: Clues to Their Origin" - Explorers Journal; December 1977 [part of AIFE reprint series][copy of original and AIFE reprint]
61. "Your Expedition" - Mariah Magazine; Feb/Mar 1978.
Series 4. Publications about
Ted Bank; 1950, 1954, 1956, 1958-1959, 1962, 1966, 1968-1970,
1. News Releases; 1954, 1958-1959, 1970.
2. "Arctic Sharecroppers" - Newsweek; December 25, 1950.
3. "Water Sports Aid in Student Explorations" - New York Times; Apr. 22, 1956.
4. "Attention of Explorers Journal Readers" - Explorers Journal; June 1962. [copy]
5. "Exploring Today with Explorer-anthropologist, Author and Lecturer Ted Bank II" - advertisement from Talent?; 1966?
6. "Introduction to the Non-Western World" - WMU-TV - Brochures; 1968? [T. Bank, Executive Producer]
7. "Grave of 200-Year-Old Ship Believed Found Off Aleutian Island" - Seattle Times; Sept. 4, 1969.
8. "High Adventure with Ted Bank" - Talent Magazine; April 1970.
9. "Frontier Classroom" Flyer; 1973. (About Bank's class)
10. "WMU Prof Leads Aleutian Island Expedition" - from unidentified WMU publication; 1973?
11. Photographer's Market - Excerpts; 1979.
Series 5. Alaskan Expeditions;
n.d., 1948-1955, 1962, 1966-1973, 1975, 1978-1979.
1. Aleutian Film Keys; n.d.
2. Expedition Application - American Institute For Exploration; n.d.
3. Photocopies of Some Aleutian Photographs; n.d. (Originals in Photograph Series)
4. Project Prospectus- Scientific Work in Alaska and Aleutians; n.d., 1948.
5. Equipment Requests; n.d., 1948-1950.
6. Operational Plans and Reports - Field and Overall Plans; n.d., 1948-1950.
7. 1948-1949 Aleutian Project - Notes, Correspondence, Misc.; 1948-1950.
8. Aleutian Expedition Collections - Lists, Catalogues, etc.; n.d., 1948-1952, 1967.
9. Permits and Letters of Introduction;
10. Proposed Itinerary for Aleutian Expedition - Summer 1949; 1949?
11. Agattu Operation 1949 - Operational File; 1949-1950.
12. Expedition Personnel - Correspondence; n.d., 1949-1950. (Includes b/w photo of Bob Drueger? and wrecked airplane)
13. Equipment Lists; n.d., 1950.
14. Specimen Labels (Blank) - "Ethnobotanical Specimens from the Aleutian Islands"; n.d., 1950.
15. Project Prospectus - "Ethnobotanical Investigations in the Aleutian Islands"; 1950?
16. Rough Data - Comparisons - Aleutian-Wide; n.d. (1950s?)
17. Rough Data - Comparisons - Inter-Site - With U.M. Data; 1950s
18. Expedition Personnel - Applications; n.d. (1950s?)
19. 1951 & 1954 Personnel - Correspondence; 1951, 1953-1955.
20. Expedition Operations and Schedules; n.d., 1951.
21. 1950-1952 Aleutian Project - Notes and Plans; 1950-1951.
22. Unalaska Island Research Center - Proposal; 1951-1953.
23. Insurance of Equipment in Univ. of Michigan Old Maternity Hospital; 1952.
24. Expedition Equipment Inventories; n.d., 1954.
25. "1954 Aleutian Expedition - A Preliminary Brochure"; 1954.
26. Aleutian Expedition Notes and Reports by Jay Ellis Ransom; 1954.
27. Expedition Operations and Schedules; n.d., 1954-1955.
28. Letters to Product Donors re: Product Performance in 1954-55 Expedition; 1955.
29. "Summary of Findings in 1954-55"; 1955?
30. "Friends of the Alaskan Summer Institutes" - AIFE; n.d. (1968?)
31. Letters of Introduction; 1969.
32. "Preliminary Report on the Zoological Survey of the 1969 Michigan Aleutian Expedition" by John Martin and Tom Ball - Draft; n.d. (1969?)
33. 1973 ABSE Aleutian Expedition
Program - Correspondence, Notes, Misc.; n.d., 1970-1973, 1975.
34. 1973 Programs Planning - Rough Notes #1 - ABSI, WEP, AIFE; 1973.
35. 1973 Expedition - Correspondence re: equipment, supplies and expenses; n.d., 1973.
36. 1973 Aleutian-Bering Sea Expedition Prospectus - "A Study of Cultural Influences Upon the Creative Expressions of the Aleut-Eskimos (July-August 1973)"; Jan. 1973.
37. "Disposition and Ownership of Field Data" - ABSE; May 1973.
38. Application - Aleutian-Bering Sea Expedition; 1975.
39. British Alaskan Expedition - American Logistics Support Team - Map; 1978.
40. Misc. Alaskan Expedition Material; n.d., 1949, 1962, 1966, 1979.
Series 6. Institute for Regional
Exploration/American Institute for Exploration; n.d., 1959, 1967,
1. Expedition Handouts and Flyers (General); n.d.
2. Letterhead; n.d.
3. Institute for Regional Exploration - Brochure; n.d. (1950s?)
4. Institute for Regional Exploration - Clippings; 1959.
5. "Scenes from Expeditions Sponsored by the American Institute for Exploration, 1954-1958"; n.d.
6. American Institute for Exploration - History and 1966 Annual Report; 1967.
7. American Institute for Exploration - Correspondence; 1967.
8. "High Adventure in Western Alaska" - AIFE Handout; 1979?
Series 7. Financial Records;
1948, 1952, 1954, 1968-1974.
1. Grants - Correspondence; 1948, 1952, 1954, 1968-1969.
2. Aleutian-Bering Sea Expeditions - Summary of Financial Reports; 1969-1973.
3. 1968 AIFE/ABSE Income Tax Return, Receipts, and Supporting Materials
4. 1969 AIFE/ABSE Income Tax Return - Supporting Materials
5. 1970 AIFE/ABSE Income Tax Returns and Receipts (1 of 3)
6. 1970 AIFE/ABSE Income Tax Returns and Receipts (2 of 3)
7. 1970 AIFE/ABSE Income Tax
Returns and Receipts (3 of 3)
8. 1970 AIFE/ABSE Documentation for IRS/Michigan; 1970-1972.
9. 1973 AIFE/ABSE Income Tax Return, Receipts, and Misc. Related Materials
10. 1973 AIFE/ABSE - Expedition Receipts (1 of 2)
11. 1973 AIFE/ABSE - Expedition Receipts (2 of 2)
12. 1973 AIFE/ABSE - Financial Records (originally filed with tax records)
13. Summary of Support Received by the 1973 Aleutian Program; 1974.
14. AIFE - Financial Report for Calendar Year 1973; 1974?
Series 8. America-Japan Society
of Hokkaido; 1953-1954, 1956-1959.
1. Constitution; Sept. 6, 1954.
2. "Address by the Honorable Douglas MacArthur II..."; July 9, 1957.
3. Clark Memorial Student Center Committee - Correspondence; 1956-1959.
4. Clark Memorial Student Center Committee - Photographs of Hokkaido University; n.d., 1956. (54 b/w photos - many duplicates)
5. Clark Memorial Student Center Committee - Misc.; n.d., 1953, 1956.
Series 9. Aleutian-Bering
Sea Expedition 1973-1974 - "Brown Fiasco"; n.d., 1968-1971,
1. "Proposed New Location of the Aleutian-Bering Sea Institutes Research Station on Unalaska Island in the Aleutians"; n.d.
2. Correspondence - Susan van Bragt to Dean Greenberg; n.d.
3. Correspondence - Michael Rosenbaum to Dean Greenberg; n.d.
4. Correspondence - John Brown to Sen. Mike Gravel; Aug. 16, 1973.
5. Correspondence - John Brown to Ted Bank; Aug. 17, 1973.
6. Correspondence - Dean Greenberg to Ted Bank; Aug. 21, 1973.
7. Correspondence - Dean Greenberg to John Brown; Aug. 21, 1973.
8. Correspondence - Dean Greenberg to Ted Bank; Sept. 10, 1973.
9. Correspondence - Chuck Woodward Letter; Sept. 10, 1973.
10. Correspondence - Ted Bank to Dean Greenberg; Sept. 20, 1973.
11. Correspondence - William David Nager Letter; Oct. 1973.
12. Correspondence - Wally Gardipe Letter; Oct. 4, 1973.
13. Correspondence - Paul Nager Letter; Oct. 6, 1973.
14. Correspondence - Ralph E. Hansen Letter; Oct. 11, 1973.
15. Correspondence - David Danforth to Dean Greenberg; Oct. 22, 1973.
16. Correspondence - Dean Greenberg to Ted Bank; Oct. 25, 1973.
17. Correspondence - McCasland Letter; Nov. 2, 1973.
18. Correspondence - Frank S. Bernard to Ted Bank; Nov. 27, 1973.
19. Correspondence - Ted Bank to Dean Greenberg; Mar. 15, 1974.
20. Correspondence - Edward H. Kliese to Ted Bank; May 1974.
21. Misc. Correspondence; n.d., 1968-1971, 1973-1974.
22. Ralph E. Hansen Report; Oct. 1973.
23. Roster of Expedition Participants; 1973.
24. Misc.; n.d., 1973, 1977.
Series 10. Reference Materials;
n.d., 1901, 1917-1957, 1961, 1967, 1971-1973.
1. A Brief Geography of Nepal - Dept. of Publicity, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Nepal; June 11, 1967.
2. "A Program of Desirable Scientific Investigations in Arctic North America" - The Arctic Institute of North America; March 1946.
3. Akutan Harbor - Sub Bottom Profile Data; n.d.
4. Alaska's Health - Dept. of Health, Vol. 7, No. 1; Jan. 1949.
5. Aleut Essays - Essays by School Children and Billey Golley's Composition Book; n.d., 1948-1949.
6. Aleut Essays - "Life on Atka in Old Time" - told by Cedor Snigaroff; Sept. 13, 1952.
7. "Aleut Natural-Food Economy" by Jay Ellis Ransom - Reprint from American Anthropologist, Vol. 48, No. 4; Oct.-Dec. 1946.
8. Aleutian Medical Records - Reports, Statistics, Correspondence; 1945-1951. (copy with personal medical records removed)
9. Atka Families - Records of
Births, Deaths, Health, etc.; ca. 1940s.
10. Atka Village News; n.d., Feb.-May 1946. (Oversize - Stored in BOX 10)
11. "Biographical Memoirs: William Herbert Hobbs (1864-1953)" - Reprint; 1955.
12. "Blackfeet Tribal Traditions Preserved on Great Northern Railway Calendars" - Great Falls Tribune; March 9, 1952.
13. Card File - Authors; n.d.
14. Card File - Contacts - "S"; n.d.
15. Card File - Contacts - Points; n.d.
16. Card File - Drawings and Notes; n.d.
17. Card File - Habitats; n.d.
18. Card File - Hultén; n.d.
19. Card File - Mosses of the Aleutians; n.d.
20. Card File - Seminar; n.d.
21. Card File - Subjects; n.d.
22. Card File - Misc.; n.d.
23. Census Data for Aleutian Villages; ca. 1940s -1951. (1940s-1951) (Oversize - Stored in BOX 10)
24. "Comparative Data on Imaknak Sites from Collections at the Chicago Natural History Museum - May 6, 1957" - Tape Transcript; ca. 1957.
25. Constitutions and By-Laws of Atka and Nikolski Villages; 1939.
26. Corporate Charters of Atka and Nikolski Villages; 1939.
27. Die Ostasiaten - Ein Vortrag von E. Baelz; 1901.
28. "Excursions to Lake Baical" by W.J. Eyerdam - Reprint from The Nautilus, Vol. 55, No. 4; Apr. 1942.
29. Explorers Club - Bylaws; n.d.
30. Explorers Club - Lowell Thomas Brochure; n.d.
31. Genealogies and Blood Groups (Aleutians); n.d., 1945, 1947, 1949.
32. "Kamchadal Culture and Its Relationships in the Old and New Worlds" by Chester S. Chard (microcard); 1961.
33. Kratkeeye Co-obschenia (Short Summaries about Lectures and Fields of Research - Institute of Historical Material of Cultures); 1955. (In Russian)
34. Map - Eider Point (Unalaska) (elevation map showing excavation site)(hand-drawn); n.d. (Oversize - Stored in Flat Cabinet Drawer 1)
35. Map - "South Amaknak Island Proposed Mine Wharf and Facilities" (U.S. Army Map); ca. 1940s (Oversize - Stored in Flat Cabinet Drawer 1)
36. Map - Unalaska Island (shows excavation sites and movie sequence sites); n.d. (Oversize - Stored in Flat Cabinet Drawer 1)
37. Maps (Outline) - North America, Cuba, Jamaica; n.d., 1939, 1952.
38. Outward Bound - Brochures; n.d.
39. Public Health Progress in Alaska; January 1949.
40. Rhodesia National Tourist Board - Commentary: Slides; n.d. (Oversize - Stored in BOX 10)
41. T.B.: Alaska's Time Bomb by George E. Van Hagen; 1947.
42. The Unalaskan - No. 5; July 22, 1969. [mentions Ted Bank]
43. Vital Statistics and Misc. Record for Atka, Alaska - U.S. Bureau of Education, Alaska Native School, Medical and Reindeer Service; 1917-1948. (copy)
44. World Explorations Program
(Western Michigan Univ.) - PR & Development Plans; 1971-1973.
45. Publications by Eric Hultén; 1925, 1933.
46. Published Papers by Shigeru Miki; 1955-1956.
47. Published Papers by Jun Nakamura; 1952, 1954. (Mainly in Japanese)
48. Published Papers by George I. Quimby, Jr.; 1945-1946, 1948.
49. Published Papers by Misao Tatewaki; 1954-1955.
50. Misc. Japanese Publications; n.d., 1943, 1953, 1955. (In several languages)
51. Misc. Articles re: Aleutians; n.d., 1950, 1954.
52. Misc. Clippings; n.d.
Series 11. Miscellaneous;
n.d., 1947, 1951-1954, 1957, 1969-1970.
1. Books to Purchase; n.d.
2. Calendar; 1969.
3. Chapman College - World Campus Afloat; 1970.
4. Christmas Cards - Unused; n.d.
5. Cultural Anthropology Course Final Exam; n.d.
6. Personal Notes and Misc. from file labeled "Confidential" by T.P. Bank; n.d., 1947, 1951-1954.
7. Proposal for Excavations in Japan?; 1957?
8. Misc. Labels and Captions Separated from Their Objects; n.d.
9. Misc.; n.d.
Series 12. 16mm Color Motion Picture Film; n.d., 1949-1954, 1977.
BOX 11 (REEL)
"Bank 1949 Aleutians
- Aleut Weaving, not edited" [400 ft. reel - approx. 325 ft.]
Boat in water
Bundles of grass drying
Person (Ted?) examining bundles of grass
3 people near airplane (1 in doorway of plane)
Woman weaving grass
Small finished baskets
Man with pipe walking on beach
Tent on shore
Woman weaving (same woman)
BOX 12 (REEL)
"Bank Aleutians Reel
10x Selections Originals" (List from T.P. Bank) [reel on core - approx. 700 ft.]
(List titled "Ted Bank Aleutian film - Selected sequences for HTV from old footage shot in 1949-54; some ORIGINAL Commercial Kodachrome - some workprint; Reel Core # 10X")
# of Feet Subject
40 Kasatochi volcano with lake in center - extinct, ancient crater; aerial 1949
44 Mountains of Adak; aerials of volcanos: Tanaga, Gareloi - craters of Great Sitkin (Climbed by Bank in 1948-49)
70 Volcanos of Alaska Peninsula from cockpit of Reeve plane; Good shots of scenic. Cathedral peaks - close-up of ridges, Pavlov and Shishaldin volcanos
34 Reindeer at Umnak - action
35 Last Aleut bidarka (skinboat) shows in 1954 - being paddled by Aleuts and students - see also Core #11Z
75 Wildflowers: Rhododendron, dvyas, cow parsnip, more Rhododendron; person walking thru cow parsnip growing taller than person; wild geranium; ground squirrel
18 Huge cloud of millions of "whale birds" (Sooty shearwaters) hovering over submerged whales; camera moves into swirling mass of sea birds GOOD
80 Split Rock (mummy isle visited by kayakists in 1978) - showing foreboding rock; reef area; seal on rocks; cu of puffin in water; reef life (crabs, etc.)
16 Cathedral rocks and Makushin Bay in 1954 - Site of 1978 camp
14 Mimulus (monkey flower) and poisonous monkshood used by ancient Aleuts - flowers
62 Sea lions in water; Priest Rock guarding entrance to Unalaska Bay (seen by Capt Cook in 1778); giant sea cave nearby - all seen and recorded by Cook
48 Wildflowers in wind, including white orchid
16 Blue fox (now rare) cub and den
50+ Titles ---- Old film [from "The Ascent of Great Sitkin"]
32 Aerials of volcanos
BOX 13 (REEL)
"Ted Bank Aleutian
Mixed 54/49 Core 11Z" (from can) [400 ft. reel - approx. 275 ft.]
"Amaknak Dig - 2,000 Year old site" (from leader)
People working on dig site
Woman walking to dig
People working at dig
Couple hiking with baby in backpack
Layers of earth
Onboard a ship/boat
Mountains from the air
Airplane landing on snow/mtn.
Wind blowing tent
People climbing mountain
Airplane taking off from snow/mtn.
Mountains from air
Water from air
BOX 14 (REEL)
"The Ascent of Great
ft. reel - approx. 450 ft.]
"The Aleutian Institute Presents"
"The Ascent of Great Sitkin"
"Filmed by Ted and Jan Bank during 18 months of Exploration in the Aleutian Islands as members of the University of Michigan-Office of Naval Research Joint Aleutian Expedition"
Islands from the air
Map showing Great Sitkin Island
Landing in boat
Walking/Hiking with backpacks
Hiking across snow
Campsite on snow
View from top
BOX 15 (REEL)
"Bering Sea Frontier" [800 ft. reel - approx.
Map of Bering Sea
"The Aleutian Institute Presents"
"Bering Sea Frontier"
"Filmed by Ted and Jan Bank during eighteen months of exploration in the Aleutian Islands as members of the University of Michigan-Office of Naval Research Joint Aleutian Expedition"
Mountains/Islands from air
School Exterior (Adak Alaska Elementary School)
Gun Emplacement (photo?)
Flowers and plants
Woman (Jan?) eating wild berries
Russian Orthodox graveyard
People harvesting grasses
Woman weaving (from weaving footage on other reel?)
Herd of reindeer
Men unloading boat
Men hiking to cave
Bones/artifacts in ground
Mask and skull
BOX 16 (REEL)
"Ted Bank Aleutian
Exped. Reel #5 (Burials - Archae) Burials Reel #A5" [400 ft. reel - approx. 150 ft.]
Mountains/Islands/Volcanos from air
Man adjusting hat
Men working with tractor on island excavation site?
Two men talking
Man taking things out of bag?
Plants and flowers
Man digging hole
Layers of earth
Woman working at desk at excavation site
People working at site
BOX 17 (REEL)
"Aleutian Doc. Bidarka"
"From HTV Cardiff" "Oxberry" (sprockets switch
sides part way through!) [film
on core - approx. 600 ft.]
Birds in flight
Float on beach with driftwood
People examining fishing float
People on pile of driftwood
Port (shows ship Viceroy)
Pacific Voyager (Seattle) (crab fishing boat)
Processing Crab Legs
BOX 18 (REEL)
"Ted Bank Original
1977 Reel #1" (List from T.P. Bank) [film on core - approx. 1000 ft.]
(List titled "Ted Bank - Aleutian 16mm Commercial Ektachrome - ORIGINAL footage 1977 - On Core #1")
# of Feet Subject
4 Blk leader followed by u.exp. light
8 Aerials of lakes on Alaska Peninsula (light)
50 Aerials of peninsula terrain - light & under
4 Cockpit of Reeve Aleutian plane
16 Aerials of beaches (good)
85 Shots of cockpit, volcanos coming up (much panning),, glaciers and volcanoes of Alaska Peninsula. Mostly OK.
6 CU of expedition people in plane
20 Cockpit - pan to approach to Unalaska I., Unalaska's shoreline from air; Dutch Harbor landing - mostly good.
70 Eagle nest; flying eagles; much panning and zooming
32 Zodiac into and out of sea cave; action shots; rough water; too much zooming
30 Zodiacs and sea lions on rocks; sea lions rush into water - OK by unsteady (all at Akutan)
100 Seals (hair seals) on beach of Baby Isles; group of adults and young
56 Green slopes and beaches/panning to coastline - too much panning. One good shot of young seal skeleton (starved) on beach
32 Panning coastal rocks in fog; some shots of sea parrots (puffins) at nests
15 Miscellaneous: sea birds, cliffs; black underexposed
95 Sea lions from shore at Akutan - family rookeries - GOOD
10 bad stuff
100 Puffins in dens, flying; puffins standing at borroughs - Baby Isles - GOOD
20 Miscellaneous panning - no good
130 Miscellaneous - People at Eider Pt., WWII Quonset huts, beaches, etc.
BOX 19 (REEL)
"Ted Bank Aleutian
Original 1977 Reel #2" "Head - WIP119273 - Reel #2"
(List from T.P. Bank) [film
on core - approx. 1200 ft.]
(List titled "Ted Bank Aleutian 16mm Commercial Ektachrome - ORIGINAL 1977 footage - Core # 2")
# of Feet Subject
16 Unexposed leader
120 Miscellaneous shorelines; Eider Pt.; Pan of Unalaska Bay
25 Skull found in cave - good for fill-in at HTV Split Rock Cave!
15 Meadows, vegetation, mountains
100 GOOD of puffin city in Baby Isles; action shots of puffins
40 Baby Isles showing ancient raised beaches; archaeological significance/pan to camp and Zodiacs, people
150 Unalga camp activities/student explorers/panning to meadows, mts. of Unalaska, rocks in fog
148 Sea lions on beach, Akutan - some VERY GOOD shots of family groups; bulls fighting; baby sea lions
100 Camp at Broad Bay; panning of typical lush Aleutian vegetation - students at camp
140 Puffins at dens, flying, in water - Mostly OK
20 Mountains and snow at Unalaska - distant scenics - ok
120 Sea lions - good close-ups of action; best sequences of young and family groups
40 Puffins - ok
50 People at camp - Baby Isles
96 Sea lions - additional very good sequences
BOX 20 (REEL)
"Legend Cave Story
Sequence/Fall Into Cave" (white on brown drawings) [400 ft. reel - approx. 100 ft.]
People sitting in a circle
Old man speaking
Person near hole in ground? (Cave?)
Two Aleut men dressed in traditional fashion
Aleut man with hat and pierced nose
Pan of drawing from cave interior to top of island
Person climbing/falling into cave
BOXES 21 & 22 (ALBUMS)
13. Ted Bank and Family Photographs and Negatives; n.d., 1943,
1949, 1952, 1954, 1957, 1961, 1966-1971, 1974-1975, 1977-1978.
(430 b/w prints, 62 color prints, 9 b/w 120 size negs, 3 color 120 size
negs, 6 b/w 35mm negs, 3 b/w 120 size proof sheets)
-Includes Theodore Paul Bank II (from young manhood to 1970s), Janet Fowler Bank (wife #1), Shirley Waterman Bank (wife #2), Trina Lindenstein Bank (wife #3), Theodore Paul Bank III ("Skipper")(son), Kristin Kara Bank (daughter), Ossie Bank, Carl Bank, and Ted Bank (father?).
BOX 23 (ALBUM)
14. Photographs and Negatives from Ted Bank's Navy Service?;
n.d., 1945-1946. (86 b/w prints, 26 b/w negatives) (Note: One
photo has a note on the back from Ted to "Betty Ann")
-Includes Weather Central Hill (Adak), Naval Air Base (Adak), rip tide though gap, cliffs, fox standing on sailor (Adak), eaglets and Barny the eagle, Snuffy the fox, skiing, whale ribs (Tanaga), Quonset huts (Adak), abandoned trapper's cabin (Adak), chow hall and apprentice seaman's barracks, Kodiak, wrecked Japanese ships, Mt. Pyramid (Kodiak), Ted Bank, Bob Godwin, "Sully" Sullivan, Joe Dubtsham, Walt "Dutch" Koenig, Norm Ward, "Smitty", unidentified people, and small "Official U.S. Marine Corps Photos" of military activities.
BOX 24 (ALBUM)
Series 15. Photograph Scrapbooks/Albums; n.d., 1949, 1954, 1960, 1973, 1975. (174 b/w prints, 87 color prints)
1. Misc. Scrapbook/Album Pages;
n.d., 1949, 1954, 1960. (172 b/w prints, 8 color prints).
-Includes the American Geographical Society's Juneau Ice Cap Project camp, hiking on the Juneau ice fields, climbing Great Sitkin, volcanos, Gareloi crater, Makushin volcano (Unalaska), Akutan volcano, Mendenhall Glacier, Auk Lake, Gastinau Channel, Sitka, Atka, Atka Village, Atka Village School (interior), Attu Village (pre-WWII), Kasheega Village, Unalaska, Dutch Harbor, Nikolski Village, Sheldon Jackson College (Sitka), Russian Orthodox Church (Sitka)(exterior), Juneau airport, cooking Kamp Pack foods, excavation at Amaknak archaeological site (Unalaska), excavation at Umnak, Aleutian burial masks, artifacts, Burchcraft boat, Johnson motor, Unalaska town council meeting, Russian Orthodox Church in Unalaska (exterior), Father Baranoff, the holy cloth of Father Veniamenof, Russian Orthodox church services and weddings, graveyard (Unalaska), unidentified church interior, men working on clinic building (Unalaska), cleaning and drying fish, gathering blueberries (Unalaska), kayak, salmon spearing and netting, fish weir, salmon tender (Sitka), totem pole (Sitka), fishing in Iliuliuk River (Unalaska), playing song game (Unalaska), seismograph station (Unalaska), proposed Alaskan research center headquarters (U. of Michigan), submarine base (Unalaska), dock and boat ramps (Unalaska), cannons (Unalaska), sea cave (Unalaska), Priest Rock (Unalaska), Split Rock/Mummy Isle, Unalaska mail boat, barge at Nikolski Village, Reeve Aleutian Airways airplane (at Atka), barabara (Attu), woven grass "Attu" baskets, seal gut bag, seal gut coat, flowers, plants, Aleutian gardens, whale birds, S.S. Aleutian, Ted Bank's birthday party (Unalaska), Ted Bank, Shirley Bank, Walter Dyakanof(f), Ainu warrior (Hokkaido), Ainu boy, Hokkaido excavation, Lahu Village (Thailand), unidentified city in North Dakota, Glacier National Park, bear cub and buffalo in Yellowstone, lightning in Clearwater National Forest, Huron River, and unidentified people.
BOX 25 (ALBUM)
2. Scrapbook/Album Pages from
Notebook; n.d., 1973, 1975. (2 b/w prints, 79 color prints)
-Includes Russian Orthodox Church (Unalaska)(exterior), Russian Orthodox Church (Atka)(interior), Father Makarey Baranoff, Russian Orthodox wedding (Unalaska), Aleutian burial mask, Kagamil Island burial cave, sheep ranching at Chernofski Bay (Unalaska)(ranch owned by Milton Holmes), Baby Isles, Isles of the Four Mountains, Iskinofski Peak, Priest Rock (Unalaska), Wislow-Reese Bay (Unalaska), sea cave (Unalaska), the Teresa Lee, the Reessof, Kristin Kara Bank, Neal ?, Doug ?, 1975 Joint Japanese-American Expedition to the Aleutian Islands members, unidentified Aleutian expedition members, expedition members in Zodiac boats, expedition campsites, eagles, hair seals, sea lions, gulls, puffin, fox, crab, and flowers.
BOX 26 (ALBUM)
Series 16. Aleutian Photographs; n.d., 1882 (copy), 1934, 1940,
1942-1944, 1948-1950, 1954, 1969-1971, 1978. (409 b/w prints,
56 color prints, 1 postcard, 1 color transparency).
1. Adak; n.d., 1949-1950. (8 b/w prints).
-Includes Marsden matting, Mt. Moffet, Adak Elementary School, and Adak National Forest sign.
2. Agattu; n.d., 1943, 1848-1949. (6 b/w prints).
-Photos taken by the U.S. Navy from the air.
3. Atka; n.d., 1949-1950. (72 b/w prints, 5 color prints).
-Includes photos of village from air, Atka Village, the Russian Orthodox church (exterior), the school (interior), Mehie Lokanin, Affie Snigaroff, Annie Golley, Annie Snigaroff, Olean Snigaroff, Andrew Snigaroff, Mike Snigaroff (with Olean, Andrew, Mary (mother), Annie, Anfusia, and Angelina), Sergius Golley (in his store), Nadesta Golley, Periscovia Nevzoroff, Peter Nevzoroff and family, "birthday party for Olean" (Snigaroff?), Ted Bank "and patient", a bird mound, unidentified woman weaving, Japanese photos of Atka scenery, and unidentified people.
4. Attu; n.d., 1934, 1940, 1943, 1949. (28 b/w prints, 1 color print).
-Includes photos from air, American soldiers on mountain trail, Attu Village, the Russian Orthodox Church (interior), sod houses, and unidentified people.
5. Great Sitkin; n.d., 1949-1950. (3 b/w prints)(see also Alaska - Expedition People and Activities).
-Includes photo from air and photos from climb.
6. Ilak; n.d., 1944, 1948. (4 b/w prints).
-Includes U.S. Navy photos from air.
7. Kasheega Village (on Unalaska); n.d., 1954. (18 b/w prints).
-Includes George Borenin (d. 1956), his dory, the Russian Orthodox Church (exterior and interior), and a gut coat.
8. Kiska; n.d., 1948. (17 b/w prints).
-Includes map of Japanese installations, Japanese guns, a field regiment memorial, ship unloading jeep, ACS huts, a USA Weasil, docks, air strip, and a wrecked Japanese ship.
9. Nikolski Village (on Umnak); n.d., 1949-1950. (8 b/w prints).
-Includes woman blowing air through seal intestine and unidentified people.
10. Shemya; 1942. (1 b/w print).
Photo taken by U.S. Navy from the air.
11. Tanaga; n.d., 1943. (3 b/w prints).
-Includes photos taken by U.S. Navy from the air and cliff.
12. Umnak; n.d.,1943. (4 b/w prints) (see also Nikolski Village).
-Photos of Nikolski Harbor from the air.
BOX 27 (ALBUM)
13. Unalaska; n.d., 1882, 1950,
1954, 1969-1971, 1978. (124 b/w prints, 47 color prints, 1 postcard)
(see also Kasheega Village, Alaska - Expedition People and Activities,
and Misc. Photos - Oversize Photos)
-Includes Dutch Harbor, photos from the air, copy of photo of village from 1882, copy of photo of Attu people ca. 1928-1932, Unalaska school, Elia Makarin, Aleut men working on new clinic building, the Russian Orthodox Church (exterior), copy of older photo of church, graveyard, headquarters of Aleutian expeditions, ship unloading, cleaning salmon, gutting seal, interior of bar, kayak, gun/cannon emplacement, front beach, berry picking, people playing song game, Sedanka Point, Priest Rock, Konets Head, Kuliliak Bay, Adagdak Straits, Burchcraft boat, expedition storm camp, sea cave in Unalaska Bay, prehistoric village mound, prehistoric barabara pits, unidentified people, and unidentified buildings.
14. Unimak; 1950. (1 b/w print).
-Photo of Shishaldin and Isanotsk volcanos.
BOX 28 (ALBUM)
15. People (villages unidentified);
n.d., 1949. (112 b/w prints, 3 color prints, 1 color transparency).
-Includes William Dirks, Koolatchi Nevzoroff, Mike Kushin, John Kushin, and unidentified people.
BOX 29 (ALBUM)
17. Alaska Expedition Photographs (includes Aleutians); n.d.,
1948-1950, 1954, 1962, 1969-1970, 1973, 1975-1978. (714 b/w prints,
156 color prints, 3 slides)
1. Airplanes; n.d., 1950, 1978. (6 b/w prints, 17 color prints).
-Includes floatplane landing at Unalaska (?), airplane landing, Reeve Aleutian Airways airplanes and crews.
2. Alaska Economic; n.d. (35 b/w prints).
-Includes Sitka fishing fleet, crabbing, seafood processing, sheep ranching at Chernofski Bay (Unalaska)(ranch owned by Milton Holmes), ships, and unidentified mill/factory.
3. Father Markarey Baranoff; n.d., 1949. (18 b/w prints) (see also Church Interiors and Weddings)
-Includes wearing vestments inside church, holding large book, portraits, and standing with unidentified people.
4. Birds; n.d., 1954, 1969-1970. (6 b/w prints).
-Includes huge group of birds above feeding whales and huge group of sooty shearwaters.
5. Boats (Expedition); n.d.,1969-1970, 1975, 1977-1978. (43 b/w prints, 22 color prints).
-Includes Ted Bank, Bill Bouma, Burchcraft and Zodiac boats on shore and in the water, and British Expedition's kayaks. Some photos by Mary Henderson, most by Ted Bank.
6. Campsites (Expedition); n.d., 1969-1970, 1975-1976, 1978. (26 b/w prints, 19 color prints).
-Includes cooking, tents, beached boats, campfire, Ted Bank, Janet Bank, Shirley Bank, Trina Bank, Kristin Kara Bank, and unidentified expedition members.
BOX 30 (ALBUM)
7. Church Interiors; n.d., 1948-1950.
(Unidentified) (22 b/w photos)
-Includes Father Baranoff, infant baptism?, Shirley Bank with camera, church services, unidentified people inside unidentified Russian Orthodox churches, and church artifacts.
8. Diomede (Little); 1949. (2 b/w photos)
-Photo of Eskimo village on Little Diomede; 1949.
9. Excavations; n.d., 1949. (80 b/w photos)
-Includes unidentified excavation sites, using bulldozer, shooting motion picture film, collecting skull, Ted Bank, Jane Phillips, Ken Bay, Kagamil Isle, and unidentified expedition members.
BOX 31 (ALBUM)
10. Expedition People and Activities;
n.d., 1948-1950, 1954, 1969-1970, 1977-1978. (243 b/w photos,
57 color photos)
-Includes Great Sitkin climb, hiking near glaciers, activities on the Juneau Ice Fields, hiking on Lemon Creek Glacier, using expedition Burchcraft and Zodiac boats, cooking, hunting, onboard ship (Coast Guard cutter?), onboard the F.S. Bryant, inside Unalaska expedition headquarters?, Ted Bank's birthday celebration, playing guitar and harmonica, drying plants, working on equipment, displaying Explorer's Club flag, Ted Bank, Janet Bank, Shirley Bank, Kristin Kara Bank, Jay Ellis Ransom, Dick Lightfoot, George Borenin, D.S. McClain, H.A. Miller, Willie Dushkin, Tom Babb examining rodents, and unidentified expedition members.
11. Flowers/Plants; n.d., 1948-1950. (43 b/w photos, 4 color photos)
-Includes Lycopodium, short grasses, Platanthera, Iris setosa, Empetrum, moss, lichen, Campanula, mushrooms, Anemone narcissiflora, Kamchatkan rhododendron, and unidentified plants.
12. Juneau; n.d. (7 b/w photos)
-Photos of a Fourth of July parade with floats.
13. Juneau Ice Fields; n.d., 1954, 1962. (15 b/w photos) (see also Expedition People and Activities)
-Includes Juneau Ice Field, Taku glacier system, American Geographical Society Ice Cap Expedition members, University of Michigan expedition members, and unidentified glaciers.
14. Kodiak; n.d. (3 b/w photos)
-hotos of town, graveyard, and Kodiak City Dock building.
BOX 32 (ALBUM)
15. Landscapes/Scenery (Unidentified);
n.d., 1948-1950, 1970, 1978. (99 b/w photos, 21 color photos)
-Photos from air and ground of coastlines, islands, mountains, etc.
BOX 33 (ALBUM)
16. Seals/Sea Lions; n.d., 1969,
1973, 1976-1977. (17 b/w photos, 14 color photos, 3 slides)(See
also Misc. Photos - Oversize Photos)
-Includes seals and sea lions on shore, on rocks, and underwater.
17. Seldovia; n.d. (4 b/w photos)
-Photos of Seldovia as seen from the water.
18. Sitka; n.d. (3 b/w photos)
-Photo of Russian Orthodox Church (exterior) and town.
19. Towns/Villages (Unidentified); n.d. (5 b/w photos, 2 color photos)
-Photos of unidentified buildings and towns suspected to be in Alaska.
20. Weddings; n.d., 1948-1949. (38 b/w photos)
-Includes three Russian Orthodox church weddings (Unalaska, Atka, and ?) officiated by Father Baranoff (other participants are unidentified) and wedding receptions.
BOX 34 (ALBUM)
18. Alaska Bering Sea Expedition Negatives and Proofs; 1969-1971,
1973. (973 negatives, 1499 proof sheets)
1. 1969-1971 ABSE Negatives and Proofs; 1969-1971. (57 negs., 527 proof sheets)(Some of these are also found in the Aleutian and Alaska photograph series)
-Includes Zodiac boats, human remains, artifacts, excavations, Unalaska, Priest Rock, sea cave (Unalaska), sheep ranching at Chernofski Bay (Unalaska)(ranch owned by Milton Holmes), unidentified Aleutian buildings and scenery, thousands of birds, expedition campsites, expedition's Unalaska headquarters (exterior and interior), cooking, display of the Explorer's Club flag, the F.S. Bryant, Ted Bank, Tom Babb examining rodents, and unidentified expedition members.
BOX 35 (ALBUM)
2. 1973 ABSE Negatives and Proofs;
1973. (372 120 negs, 544 35mm negs, 419 120 proofs, 536 35mm
-Includes Unalaska, Dutch Harbor (Unalaska), Eider Point (Unalaska), Amaknak Island, Fort Meyers (Amaknak), Baby Isles, Hog Island (Unalaska), Reese Bay (Unalaska), divers, Zodiac boats, Reeve Aleutian Airways airplane, onboard a Chevron ship, onboard the Hillyer Brown, sea cave (Unalaska), land cave, birds, sea lions, old truck, expedition campsites, camp cookery, expedition headquarters (interior), Ted Bank, Trina Bank, Kristin Kara Bank, Marty McCaslen, Aleutian scenery, unidentified buildings, and unidentified expedition members.
BOX 36 (ALBUM)
19. Misc. Alaska Photographs; n.d., 1949-1951, 1954, 1961-1962,
1973, 1978. (105 b/w prints, 8 color prints, 1 postcard)
-Includes Pavlov's Sister Volcano, Gareloi Volcano, barabara pits (Baby Isles), Split Rock/Mummy Island, Cape Morgan (Akutan), Mendenhall Glacier, Aug Lake, Glacier Bay, Mt. Cleveland, Chuginadak Isle, Mt. St. Elias Range, King Island, Jute Bay Oil Camp, Cold Bay, Summit Lake, the S.S. Aleutian, the S.S. Coastal Monarch fire (1950), SE Alaska Indians?, totem pole (Cape Fox), an exhibit of Araktuunk Pass Eskimos by Carl J. Henkelmann, sign on steam bath door (Unalaska?), fox on beach near Zodiac boat, elk, dogs, glaciers, unidentified people, unidentified ships, and unidentified scenery.
BOX 37 (ALBUM)
20. Ainu and other Japanese Photographs; n.d., 1955-1957. (1555
b/w prints, 2 postcards, 3 negatives, 57 120 size proofs, 149 35mm
1. Negatives and Proofs (3 negs, 57 120 proofs, 149 b/w 35mm proof sheets)
-Includes fishing, marimo ball gathering, weaving, sewing, painting, millet pounding, gathering food, prayer stick carving, indoor ceremonies, indoor scenes, man with bow and arrow, outdoor ceremonies, outdoor scenes, portraits, Japanese excavations, and artifacts.
2. Fishing/Marimo Ball Gathering (61 prints)
-Includes spear fishing, fishing with a line from a boat, gathering marimo balls, Ted Bank, and unidentified Ainu people.
3. Weaving/Sewing/Painting (63 prints)
-Includes Ainu women weaving willow root basket, weaving Ainu cloth from tree fibers, sewing/embroidering Ainu-patterned cloth, painting wooden animal figures, Shirley Bank, and unidentified Ainu people.
4. Millet Pounding (49 prints)
-Includes large wooden mortar and pestle, pounding the millet, winnowing the millet?, Ted Bank, Shirley Bank, and unidentified Ainu people.
5. Gathering Bark, Wood, Food (63 prints)
-Includes unidentified Ainu people gathering bark for weaving, gathering wood, gathering grasses?, gathering roots, and picking grapes.
6. Digging (11 prints)
-Includes two unidentified Ainu men digging with sticks.
BOX 38 (ALBUM)
7. Carving Prayer Sticks (Inau)
-Includes two unidentified Ainu men carving prayer sticks (Inau).
8. Indoor Ceremonies (61 prints).
-Includes ceremony with Ted Bank and unidentified Ainu people drinking (sake?) from large cup with moustache lifter, ceremony praying to gods of the house, and unidentified indoor activities.
9. Indoor Dancing (12 prints).
-Includes unidentified old Ainu man with scarf on head dancing with woman and rolling on floor while observers laugh and smile.
10. Indoor Scenes (Playing jew's harp, etc.) (33 prints).
-Includes women playing jew's harp (mukuri), preparing fibers for weaving?, displaying Explorer's Club flag, and unidentified Ainu people.
11. Man with Bow and Arrow (14 prints).
-Includes Ainu men seated with bow and preparing to shoot arrow.
12. Outdoor Ceremonies (172 prints).
-Includes dressing for ceremonies, ceremony involving prayer sticks, beverage drinking with moustache lifter, dance of six women, dance of three women tossing hair, sword dance, hunting ceremony, grasshopper dance, dance of five women, spectators, women displaying Explorer's Club flag, and women looking at Glamour magazine.
13. Outdoor Scenes (57 prints).
-Includes Ainu greeting, men examining stick, adults playing with child, mothers with children on their backs, and other Ainu people.
BOX 39 (ALBUM)
14. Portraits and Misc. (166
prints, 2 postcards).
-Includes people looking at photos, the Akan Ainu Chief, Biki, woman with tattooed arms, unidentified Ainu people posing for portraits, blowing bubbles, carving wood, painting, playing with puppets, Ainu grave sign, Ainu thatched hut, Ted Bank, Shirley Bank, and bear cub.
15. Japanese Excavations (250 prints).
-Includes photos labeled "Oketo", "Shirataki I", and "Shirataki Site II", Shirley Bank and other people walking along railroad tracks, Japanese children gathered around Ted Bank to watch him work, Japanese students surveying the site and beginning the excavation, people observing the progress of the dig, people examining what has been uncovered, objects uncovered, group photos with Ted and Shirley Bank, display of the Explorer's Club flag, excavation test profiles, and Ted and Shirley Bank examining plants.
BOX 40 (ALBUM)
16. Japan Misc. (531 photos).
- Farming family, Hokkaido farm, Tokyo, Sapporo, Akan, Matsushima Park, Mt. Asahi-dake, Gold Road, Hell Valley, horses, Hagoromo Waterfall, Hidaka mountains, Shôwa Shinzan, Lake Shikotsu, Volcano Tobachi, Daisetsu(?) National Park, Akan National Park, Poroshiri-Kar I, Kawayu, Lake Dôya, Bihoro Village, lighthouse near Atami, Great Buddha Shrine (Nara), Nagoya Castle (Nagoya),Daibutsu (Kamakura), the Super Train (from Tokyo to Osaka), the Ginza (Tokyo), woman grading pearls (Pearl Island, Toba), Japanese man examining National Geographic magazine, inside retail stores, Japanese baseball game (Akan), street magician, flower market, shoe shine girls, women cleaning fish, children playing, school children (Sapporo), kindergarten band practice (Sapporo), villagers watching construction project, inside museum, dinner parties, bedroom, party, street scenes, winter and Christmas scenes, snow sculptures, parks, rose garden, plants, flower arrangements, Ted Bank, Shirley Bank, and many unidentified Japanese people and scenic photos. A few of the photos are from Quantas Airlines.
BOX 41 (ALBUM)
21. Photographs of Other Countries (not U.S. or Japan); n.d.,
1920, 1923, 1926, 1935, 1957, 1959, 1965-1967. (312 b/w prints,
1. Burma; 1923. (2 prints)
-Photos of palm sugar processing. Published in "Facts about Sugar".
2. Brazil; n.d. (2 postcards)
-Postcards of Rio de Janeiro.
3. Ceylon; 1926. (3 prints)
-Photos of man holding split coconut. Photos by USDA Bureau of Plant Industry.
4. China; n.d. (1 prints)
-Photo of the Great Wall.
5. Congo; n.d. (3 prints)
-Photos of Watusi warriors, Pygmy, and elephant. Photos from Belgian World Airlines.
6. Costa Rica; 1920. (3 prints)
-Photos of palm trees. Photos by USDA Bureau of Plant Industry.
7. Egypt; n.d. (6 prints)
-Photos of the Sphinx, the pyramids, the Colossi of Memnon, Karnak, Luxor, and Cairo. Photos from Quantas Airlines and Society Expeditions.
8. Ethiopia; n.d. (2 prints)
-Photos of painting of cathedral wall at Axum and copy of religious drawing from book. Photos from Ethiopian Airlines/Calvert-Stearns.
9. Hong Kong; n.d., 1957. (12 prints)
-Photos of Hong Kong harbor, Yamati typhoon shelter (Kowloon), Aberdeen village, Chinese resettlement area flats for refugees, Chinese peasant woman, Chinese sampan woman, children, Chinese fisherman, and a Chinese Junk. Some photos from Quantas Airlines, some by Ted Bank.
10. India; n.d. (5 prints)
-Photos of tea growing (Darjeeling), unloading gravel ships (Bombay), planting rice (Madras), carving elephant tusk (Delhi), and Mahagalipuram (Madras). Photos from Quantas Airlines.
11. Iran; n.d. (5 prints)
-Photos of Tehran, Alborz Mountains, a teapicker, a woodwork student (College of Fine Arts, Tehran), and sturgeon fisherman repairing nets. Photos from Quantas Airlines.
12. Malaysia; n.d. (5 prints)
-Photos of mosque (Kuala Lumpur), the Academy of Science (University of Kuala Lumpur), high density home units (Kuala Lumpur), child tin miner (Ipoh), and girls picking tea (Cameron Highlands). Photos from Quantas Airlines.
13. New Guinea; n.d. (5 prints)
-Photos of Busama Beach, Roku Village, Hewa tribesman, man wearing Bird of Paradise headdress, and ceremonial "Mud Men" of the Asaro tribe. Photos from Quantas Airlines.
14. Philippines; n.d., 1935. (14 prints)
-Photos of Manila, Luneta Park (Manila), alpine scenery, woodcarver (Baguio), harvesting sugar cane (Laguna Province), water buffalo, and palm trees. Some photos are from Quantas Airlines.
15. Portugal; n.d. (10 prints)
-Photos of sunset at Lisbon, boats at Lisbon, and statue in Lisbon. Photos by Ted Bank.
16. Rhodesia/Zimbabwe; n.d., 1965-1967. (68 prints)
-Photos of maps, Prime Minister Smith and family, Parliament (1965), opening of Parliament (1967), Chief Sigola, Chief Mapanzure, Chief Gutu, Chief Mutasa, other tribal chiefs, ruined city of Zimbabwe, Nalatali Ruins, Chiweshe Tribal Trust Area, Kariba Lake, Victoria Falls, Salisbury City, Highfield African Township, Marimba Park, Bulawayo, mud and thatch house, Dunuza African School, Fletcher High School (Gwelo), Minister Rudland, Chief Mukanganwe, University College of Rhodesia, Chibero Agricultural College (Norton), mobile chest x-ray truck, Mpilo Central Hospital, Salisbury Cerebral Palsy Association, Harare Woman's Institute Club, Harare Beauty Salon, Rhodesia Chrome Mines, Rhodesia Bata Shoe Company, children, Jacha Rusike, oxen drawing sledge, picking tea, picking cotton, Cyrene Mission, witch doctor, dance to call upon Chimombe, people carrying items, cooking, woman smoking pipe, Noel Chiweche, George Hartley Swimming Pool, African air hostesses, Wankie Colliery Company, man carving wood, sculptures, prehistoric art, elephant, and flame lily. Photos from the Rhodesia Information Service.
BOX 42 (ALBUM)
17. Rhodesia/Zimbabwe (continued
from BOX 41)
18. Singapore; n.d. (5 b/w photos)
-Photos of Singapore, high density homes, Tiger Balm Gardens, roadside stalls, and parking structure. Photos from Quantas Airlines.
19. South Africa; n.d. (5 b/w photos)
-Photos of railway station (Johannesburg), Pretoria, Premier Diamond Mine (Cullinan), and gold miners (Blyvooruitzicht Gold Mine). Photos from Quantas Airlines.
20. Sudan; n.d. (3 b/w photos)
-Photos of temple, school of fine arts, and bovine.
21. Tahiti; 1959. (1 postcard)
-Postcard of palms and beach (Baie de Matavai) addressed to T.P. Bank from Don.
22. Tanzania; n.d. (28 photos)
-Photos of Dar es Salaam, University College (Dar es Salaam), Mount Kilamanjaro, Ngogongoro Crater, Chunya escapment, Bismarck Rocks, fishing boats, lions, Serengeti National Park, Lake Manyara National Park, giraffes, elephants, Bagamoyo, Mnazi Mmoja, Kilimanjaro Hotel (Dar es Salaam), sisal plantation, tea estate, women carrying cotton, drying sisal, picking tea, picking cotton, picking coffee, textile factory, sugar cane, diamonds, refinery, and cement factory. Photos from Tanganyika Information Services.
BOX 43 (ALBUM)
23. Thailand; n.d., 1957. (38
-Photos of Bangkok, floating market (klong)(Bangkok), Buddhist temple (near Bangkok), King's summer palaces, Maéo man (Chieng Mai), Maéo child, Lahu man playing gourd pipe, man tossing a fishing net, woman carrying grain, harvesting rice, dancers (Timland), boxing match (Bangkok), Mr. Young, a python, and unidentified people. A few photos from Quantas Airlines, most taken by Ted Bank.
24. Unidentified Countries (mostly Asia); n.d. (88 b/w photos)
-Photos of woman playing pipes?, men playing drums, people harvesting ?,woman washing clothes, men stripping buri straw, ruins, floating market, man with pick, people by swimming pool, pedicabs, Iban family, people on a South Seas island?, street scenes, landscapes, monkeys, pigs, a bird, displaying the Explorer's Club flag, Ted Bank, and unidentified people. Most photos by Ted Bank.
BOX 44 (ALBUM)
22. Figures, Artifact Photographs, and Drawings; n.d. (316 b/w
photos, 37 drawings)
1. Drawings of Artifacts (from notebook) (30 drawings)
2. Drawings and Figures (61 prints)
3. Photos of Artifacts (127 prints)
4. Bits and Pieces (cut from artifact photos) (51 b/w photo pieces)
BOX 45 (ALBUM)
5. Human Remains (28 prints)
6. Maps and Figures (28 prints)
7. Drawings/Artwork (21 prints, 7 original artworks)
BOX 23 (ALBUM)
23. "Slides for Promotion Committee"; n.d., 1969-1973,
1975-1980. (211 color slides)
Includes Aleutian expedition people and activities, excavations, sea lions, puffins and other birds, flowers, and Aleutian scenery.
BOX 46 (ALBUM)
24. Misc. Negatives and Proof Sheets (1585 b/w negs, 73 color negs,
474 b/w proof sheets, 81 color transparencies)
1. Numbered Negatives and Proofs (mostly Aleutian); ca. 1948-1950 (30 b/w negs, 87 b/w proof sheets)
-Includes weddings, boats, man sawing wood, woman cleaning fish, the Russian Orthodox church at Unalaska (exterior), the Russian Orthodox church at Kasheega Village (exterior), Olean's birthday party, Father Baranoff, Janet Bank, expedition camps and activities (Great Sitkin climb?), unidentified church interiors, unidentified buildings, and unidentified people.
2. Southeast Alaska Expeditions; n.d. (86 b/w 120 negs, 15 proofs)
-Includes glaciers, unidentified expedition members, display of Explorer's Club flag, unidentified buildings (ice cap research station?), and snowmobile.
3. Expedition People and Activities; n.d. (198 b/w 120 negs., 32 color 120 negs., 277 b/w 35mm negs., 20 color 35mm negs., 71 b/w 120 size proof sheets, 136 b/w 35mm proof sheets)
-Includes Dutch Harbor (Unalaska), Margarets Bay (Unalaska), Amaknak Island (Unalaska), Priest Rock, Chapel by the Sea (Unalaska), Zodiac boats, Ted Bank, Shirley Bank, Trina Bank, the Garland, the MV Expansion, the F.S. Bryant, excavations, Ted Bank photographing starfish, Ted Bank fishing, expedition campsites, Alaska Coastal Airlines building and airplanes, Reeve Aleutian Airlines airplane, sheep ranching at Chernofski Bay (Unalaska) (ranch owned by Milton Holmes), children playing, cooking, birds, scenery, unidentified towns, and unidentified people.
4. Alaska Transparencies; n.d. (36 color transparencies) Includes Explorer's Club flag displayed at Juneau Ice Cap camp?, glaciers, scenery, and birds.
5. Charts, Maps, etc. (24 b/w negs.)
6. Misc. B/W 35mm Negatives (953 b/w 35mm negs.)
7. Misc. Color Transparencies (45 color transparencies)
8. Misc. Negatives and Proofs (4 b/w 120+ negs, 13 b/w 35mm negs, 21 color 35mm negs, 50 b/w 120 proofs, 115 b/w 35mm proofs)
BOX 47 (ALBUM)
25. Misc. Photographs; n.d., 1939, 1956-1957, 1959-1960, 1967,
1970. (242 b/w photos, 8 color photos)
1. Misc. People; n.d., 1939, 1956, 1959, 1967, 1970. (71 b/w photos, 5 color photos)
-Includes director of U. of Michigan opera group, W.D. DeDula, Marina (Hodikoff) Callstraom, Martha (Hodikoff) Woods, Brian Callstraom, Teresa Callstraom, Agnes (Prosoff) Northup, the "Jervis children", "Mr. Bill, Amile, Steve, Jake", "Dotty Ann", Major James C. Sparks, Col. Gordon Cooper, Lt. Col. William Frasca, Major Sparks, Gen. John C. McConnell, Col. Frank Borman, Lt. Col. Gus Grissom, Lt. Col. David R. Scott, Lt. Col. Michael Collins, Lt. Col Buzz Aldrin, a group of young men (college students?) pushing a car labeled "Runyan Buggy", Ted Bank and others camping, Ted Bank, a female nude, and unidentified people.
2. Lightning; n.d. (5 b/w photos)
3. "Dirt for Sale"; n.d. (late 60s/early 70s?) (29 b/w photos)
-Includes people digging in the snow and dirt, a trunk filled with snow and dirt, two young women seated at a table with a "Dirt 5¢ a Bag" sign, their customers, and bags of dirt.
4. Animals; n.d., 1957. (15 b/w photos)
-Includes fox, bears, swans, and unidentified animals.
5. Misc. Sets of Photographs; n.d.,1957, 1960. (64 b/w photos)
-Includes unidentified people at picnic, people in park (arboretum?), scenery, plants, buildings and smoke on a college campus?, New York City, and Ted Bank with unidentified people.
6. Misc.; n.d., 1957. (57 b/w photos, 2 color photos)
-Includes scenery, dead whales on beaches, plants, general merchandise store in Dublin, Michigan, roads, bridges, cars, unidentified buildings, a Christmas tree, home interior photos, a graveyard, and patterns made by moving camera.
7. Oversize Photographs; n.d. (1 b/w photo, 1 color photo) (Stored in BOX 10) Includes Unalaskan man gutting seal and sea lions underwater.
26. Artifacts; n.d., 1949, 1952.
1. Aleutian Woven Grass Basket with Lid (2 inches tall, 2.5 inches diameter)(purple, red, pink, blue, and green accents); n.d.
2. Aleutian Woven Grass Basket with Lid (4 inches tall, 2 inches diameter)(woven around bottle)(decorated with roses and accents in red, pink, green, and blue); n.d.
3. Partially Woven Aleutian Grass Basket (2.75 inches diameter); n.d.
4. Partially Woven Aleutian Grass Basket Lid (.875 inch diameter); n.d.
5. Aleutian Grass Strands (labeled "Atka Aleuts. EB-1275 - Weaving strands - Elymus - ready for basket weaving [word in Aleut?] - Jan Bank Aug. 1949"); 1949.
6. Wooden Form for Basket Weaving (cylindrical on one end and spherical on the other end)(6.75 inches high, 2.5 inches diameter); n.d.
7. Miniature Fur Parka (4 incheshigh); n.d.
8. Miniature Harpoon (7 inches long); n.d.
9. Miniature Paddle? (10. 5 inches long)(labeled "No. 9"); n.d.
10. Stone Spear Point (labeled "Isaya-gun. Hokkaido. Japan. [Matudaira] M. Yoshizaki 1952. No. 1304"); ca. 1952.
11. Ainu Carved Prayer Stick (Inau)(approx. 17 inches long); ca. 1950s.
12. Ainu Carved Wood Shaving Headdress; ca.1950s.
13. Matting Decorated in Red and Black (Ainu?)(approx. 11 X 15 inch); ca. 1950s.
14. Printed Cloth - Depicts traditionally dressed Ainu man (approx. 13 X 35 inch); n.d. (Stored in Flat Cabinet Drawer 1)
15. Printed Cloth - Depicts traditionally dressed Ainu women (approx. 13 X 35 inch); n.d. (Stored in Flat Cabinet Drawer 1)
16. Delicately Carved Sticks (Three)(pointed on one end, decorated with minuscule curled wood shavings on the other end)(4.5 inches long); n.d.
17. Delicately Carved Stick (pointed on one end, decorated with spiraling wood shavings on the other end)(5 inches long); n.d.
18. Small Wall-Hanging in the shape of an Ainu robe (printed cloth)(7.5 X 11.5 inch); n.d.
19. Printed Cloth Hanging (the kind that goes over a Japanese doorway?)(blue, gray and black on a white background - mountains and river scene)(13 X 35.5 inch); n.d. (Stored in Flat Cabinet Drawer 1)
20. Black Kimono Sash (New Caravan brand)(93 inches long); n.d.
21. Fine Japanese Brush (6.5 inches long); n.d.
22. Pair of Bamboo Chopsticks (8.5 incheslong); n.d.
23. Carved Bamboo Piece (7 incheslong); n.d.
24. Carved Stick (slot at one end to hold ?) (Japanese character carved on stick) (approx. 23.5 inches long); n.d.
25. Carved Stick (pointed at both ends, spiral carving around one end)(11.5 inches long); n.d.
26. Painted Cloth Made from Pounded Plant Fiber (has been used as wall hanging)(39 X 45 inches); n.d. (not in great shape) (Stored in Flat Cabinet Drawer 1).
27. Painted Cloth Made from Pounded Plant Fiber (backed with woven cloth)(27 X60 inch); n.d. (not in great shape) (Stored in Flat Cabinet Drawer 1)
28. Broken Sand Dollar (3 inches diameter); n.d.