All library users are expected to respect the rights of others, the integrity of library resources, and the scholarly mission of the library. For further guidance, see also the UAA Student Code of Conduct and the UAA Faculty Handbook.
- Treat others with respect and civility.
- Use library resources within the guidelines presented here, as well as those in the library’s Computer Use Policy.
- Cooperate with library employees.
- Leave the library at closing and limit use to authorized areas only.
Study & Collaboration
The library is a space for both individual study and collaboration with others. Your behavior in the library can have an impact on library users and staff; please be respectful.
- Use cell phones, computers, and other devices quietly without disrupting others.
- If your talking is disruptive to others, you may be asked to move to another area of the library.
- Group study rooms are available for students to collaborate without disturbing others.
- You are welcome to listen to audio with headphones. If your audio becomes disruptive to others, you will be asked to turn it down or off.
- Do not post or distribute materials without permission. Soliciting is prohibited.
Access to Resources
Your use of library materials, equipment and space should not unduly interfere with the rights of others to access these shared resources. Do not:
- Monopolize computers, study spaces, or resources.
- Deface or damage library materials, equipment, or furniture.
- Steal or deliberately misplace library materials.
Personal belongings left unattended may be moved to the lost and found at the main Circulation Desk. Library employees may refer unattended items of potential concern to campus police.
Health & Safety
The library has some basic rules to keep everyone safe and healthy. Do not:
- Leave children under the age of 13 unattended (see also UA Minors on Campus).
- Bring animals, other than identified service animals, into the library.
- Disturb others with strong odors, e.g. perfumes, alcohol, or unsanitary personal conditions.
- Neglect to wear appropriate clothing, such as shirts or footwear.
- Sleep while at the library. If you appear unconscious, we will conduct a safety check.
- Engage in behavior that is potentially unsafe or harmful, e.g., skateboarding, running, throwing objects, or bringing weapons into the library.
- Use alcohol, tobacco, e-cigarettes or other intoxicants while at the library. Alcohol may be served within the confines of permitted university events only.
- Engage in sexual activities, sexual harassment, or indecent exposure.
- Exhibit any threatening or intimidating behaviors, e.g. abusive language, threats of violence or harassment.
Sanctions for Non-Compliance
Library users in violation of this Code of Conduct may be asked to present identification; may be subject to a search of backpacks or bags; may be directed to leave the premises and not return to any library facilities for the day; may be reported to the University Police Department; and/or may be trespassed from the Consortium Library or campus. Disciplinary or legal action may also be taken in accordance with applicable laws and policies.
Questions about this policy should be directed to Steve Rollins, Dean, UAA/APU Consortium Library, 3211 Providence Dr., Anchorage, AK 99508 (email email@example.com, phone 907-786-1825).